Thread: 1.8 celeron to Penitum 4 2.4 is it worth $180

1.8 celeron to Penitum 4 2.4 is it worth $180

hey i'm wondering is there a big differents from the 1.8 celeron to a P4 2.4 cpu. 533 FSB. have about 512 Sdram in the units. GF2 card. don't want to waste money if there is something else that would do me more good then changing the cpu's, I can't go over 400/533 FSB in these. they play tons of games. Thanks

Re: 1.8 celeron to Penitum 4 2.4 is it worth $180

Originally posted by cnn7
    hey i'm wondering is there a big differents from the 1.8 celeron to a P4 2.4 cpu. 533 FSB. have about 512 Sdram in the units. GF2 card. don't want to waste money if there is something else that would do me more good then changing the cpu's, I can't go over 400/533 FSB in these. they play tons of games. Thanks
    I really think you gotta upgrade that video card. I am using a Geforce 2 MX 200 PCI right now and it is suffering with Direct X 9 games. That would be my first upgrade. Now your going to hear EVERYONE here at Sysopt recomending a Radeon 9600 Pro. But If they were playing games just fine on a Geforce 2, then I think a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 8x will be just the ticket for them. http://www.amamax.com/intogetiti42.html

Then with the $80 dollars you saved by not getting a 9600 Pro, you can buy a two 512 meg sticks of Sdram or even a Celeron 2.4 ghz.

That's what I would do.

ok how about this, I can get 2 cpu's 2.6 GHz P4 for $290 since I have 2 computers to do. and thats through Ebay. I also see some Geforce 4 cards on there, but not a very good selection. I could wait. But I'm surprised you said the video cards. There's do seem to run slower then my P4 1.8. for some reason. maybe it's all the junk they have on them. Mine only can run up to 400 fsb where theres can go up to 533 fsb. dose the video cards play a roll in games running slower ?

I was thinking of giving mine to my daughter to replace her 533 ghz and buy me a newer one, sounds like a good ideal to me. Just have to pass it by the old lady. maybe a little on her **** would help my case, think so

ok how about this, I can get 2 cpu's 2.6 GHz P4 for $290 since I have 2 computers to do. and thats through Ebay. I also see some Geforce 4 cards on there, but not a very good selection. I could wait. But I'm surprised you said the video cards. There's do seem to run slower then my P4 1.8. for some reason. maybe it's all the junk they have on them. Mine only can run up to 400 fsb where theres can go up to 533 fsb. dose the video cards play a roll in games running slower ?

I was thinking of giving mine to my daughter to replace her 533 ghz and buy me a newer one, sounds like a good ideal to me. Just have to pass it by the old lady. maybe a little on her **** would help my case, think so
    Video cards play a very massive role in games. That's really what a huge amount of visual game information is processed. What games are you playing? If they are any 3D intensive games like Unreal 2003 then a good video card is very important. All the effects you see in games, from shawdows to pixel shading are all processed by your video card. I would seriously look into upgrading that video card to at least a Geforce 3 Ti 500 to 4 first. You will see a bigger peroformance hike with that rather than a CPU upgrade.

A new video card would improve your gaming performance much more then upgrading the CPU.

Hey another question. My books said all my computers have 1 4x AGP slot, Can I still put a video card that has 8X AGP in that slot ? or dose it have to be a 4X ??

Hey another question. My books said all my computers have 1 4x AGP slot, Can I still put a video card that has 8X AGP in that slot ? or dose it have to be a 4X ??
    An AGP 8x card will work and an AGP 4x slot if both the slot and the card use 1.5 V Signaling. Many AGP 8x cards can use both the old 3.3 V Signalling and the newer 1.5 V signaling. If the card was incompatiable with the board, it should not be able to fit in the slot becasuse of different keys. Look here for more information: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html