Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to the internet with Linux

Cannot connect to the internet with Linux

I have installed Redhat 9 and receive a "Bringing up interface eth0" failure at set-up. I am using a 3Com NIC. When I go into Network Configuration it asks for a Primary DNS, Secondary DNS, Tertiary DNS, Search Path, etc.

Can anyone help me with the necessary requirements for making a successfull connection to the internet? It is somewhat confusing when I get to the network config window. I can obtain the information and already have some of it, but I just don't know exactly how to translate Linux's terms to my ISP's.

The RH Linux installation guide states, "To change your network configuration after you have completed the installation, use the Network Administration Tool. Type the redhat-config-network command in a shell prompt to launch the Network Administration Tool." I do not know where the "shell prompt" is accessed. I have been trying to do this in, I think it is System settings (like Linux's version of Windows "Control Panel"). If I should be doing this at a shell prompt, how do I get there?

THanks in advance,

rounder

Thanks in advance,
    Once you Newegg, You Know!

Hi I see you are having problems with /eth0..

in the boot up of Redhat 9 what error does it say when it goes though the checkllist?

does Redhat 9 see the 3com nic?

what does ifconfig say?

can you probe the NIC?

are you on a router?
    can you ping?

are you on a static IP or Dynamic IP?
    is eth0 activated on Boot?

To access the sheel, click on the K in KDE's menu or the eqivelent of the "Windows Start Menu" and select System, And pick a terminal to run (Konsole, is the one I use). This will give you access to the shell or command prompt.

------ On a similar note -------------
    I currently have this same problem with Mandrake 9.

I have a 3COM 3C905B card and Linux loads the 3c5x9.o module. There is ot one specifically for 3c905. The NIC does try to init at boot but fails. Upon accessing the shell as root, ifconfig show eth0 but it is not assigned an ipaddress. I can not successfully get eth0 to bind to an IP address. I can ping lo (127.0.0.1) and lo works perfect. Pinging the name of my local pc, i get an error about no ip address x.x.x.x where the x's are the ip address I gave to my NIC.
    -- Mathias

hmmm.. What happens when you try and run netconf?

or Fedora -> system tools -> network configuration

PS are you seeing a MAC addy?
    Terminal is here Fedora -> System tools -> Terminal
    Last edited by xenomorph69; 09-12-2003 at 05:45 PM.

I do see a MAC address. The network config tools have been useless. This is the first time Linux has had me stumped like this. I was going to try and fix it tonight. The system with the problem is at home and I am at work.
    -- Mathias

I verified my NIC works. This system it is in, is dual boot and my NIC does work In windows XP. I verified XP does in fact say I have a 3C905B-TX card.

I booted into Linux and tried for around 40 Minutes to get the card to work. No luck.

I tried Netconf, manually changing drivers in Mandrake Control Center, Redetecting the card with an interactive startup and a different PCI slot.

I am beginning to wonder if there is not some other problem causing my NIC to fail. Linux is putting the NIC on IRQ 18. My chipset is detected as an Intel 815 when I have an D865PE. I think there may be an ACPI/IRQ issue happening. I started to mess with the sound card and I freeze every time I insmod the driver. I also freeze when the system tries to automount a disc (more so with CD's than the floppy it seems.)

I am still stummped. Until the NIC starts correctly Internet access will not work except dial up. (BTW xinetd starts correctly with a good status and my logs do not give me a clue as to why there is an error).

I am going to post back with the results of some unsupported drivers from 3COM. Located here: http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too...uxdownload.htm
    Last edited by rraehal; 09-12-2003 at 11:33 PM.
    -- Mathias

My chipset is detected as an Intel 815 when I have an D865PE
    Hmmm D865PE is that the Model of the motherboard? if not what is the Motherboard and let me do some digging

Manrake 9.1 is running a 2.4.21 and correct me if I am wrong you are running Hyperthreading technology as well? the 865 Chipset is not fully supported in 2.4.21 but let me do some checking for you. we will get it figured out

you could try and Download a 2.5.X kernel and do a recompile of a new kernel I suggest 2.5.9 or 2.5.74 Sounds to me that the chipset is not recognized or even Download kernel 2.4.22 and see what happens

Hang in there rounder. Once we figure this out we can help you fix your system. Have you tried anything that you haven't mentioned?

-----
    I tried the Driver from 3Com, after compiling the module and trying to load it I got a Kernel panic and my system froze. I have never had any problems like this in any version of Linux before.

The Kernel is 2.4.21 for sdtandard linux. There is an enterprise option that uses a different version f the kernel.

I will not be able to dowload a new kernel for a few days. I have only done it once so it could be interesting. D865 is my intel chipset/motherboard model. It is made by Intel. I currently do not use a CPU with Hyperthreading. I will buy one once the price drops a little more.
    -- Mathias

I got to netcofig and activated my ISP. I configuraed my NIC, but I cannot activate it. Message I receive: "Cannot activate device. No chain/target/match".

I am asked what IRQ is assigned to my NIC . I know the previous one was on IRQ 11. Edit: I found the IRQ assignments and the NIC is still on 11. I have this assigned in Linux.

Message after I boot, just as the GUI starts.
    "Cannot look up Internet address for Centurytel (my ISP). This This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct this problem by adding centurytel to the file /etc/hosts.

I think I first need to get my NIC activated. Then, if I still cannot get connected, the file /etc/hosts should be looked at.
    Last edited by rounder; 09-14-2003 at 07:33 PM.
    Once you Newegg, You Know!

According to information I found by 3Com, The 3C905B and 3C905C NIC's do not work with the Linux driver that loads. 3Com says this is the problem with the NIC not coming up correctly.

I put my old NE2000 PCI card in the machine and eth1 successfgully came up as an NE200PCI. I am starting to agree with 3Com about the NIC driver.

I am going to download this driver: http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

3Com points to this site as the location for Linux drivers. He has updated this driver and says it will support the "Boomerang Series NIC's. After I compile and install the driver, I will post a status back.

Rounder - What model of NIC do you have?
    -- Mathias

I downloaded the driver and after a little adjustment to my command to compile, I was successful in compiling the driver. When I try to insmod the driver, I do not get a Kernel Panic - so a little progress - but I get 4 errors.
    ..Unresolved Symbol acpi_wake
    ..Unresolved Symbol acpi_set_pwr_state
    ..Unresolved Symbol pci_drv_unregister
    ..Unresolved Symbol pci_drv_register

I used the latest version of Knoppix Linux. (Version 3.2 Beta 9/2003) and my NIC worked.

I did a little checking and found it to have Kernel 2.4.22 (which is newer than mine) and the driver appears to be the same. I will download the newer Kernel when I get a chance and post back.

Rounder - Maybe we need to install a new kernel to fix the problem with the NIC. Knoppix is a good choice if installed to the hard disk, but may not be available soon.
    -- Mathias

rraehal could T H I S be the problem ???

Another One from the same site...
    Last edited by fancyf; 09-16-2003 at 01:24 AM.

fancyf - those are good suggestions that I have not tried. I already no APIC is messing up Linux. I just didn't want to shut it off because I do not know what will happen to XP. I passed to NOAPIC parameter to the Linux kernel when booting and it seems to not affect anything. Maybe the parameter does not work.

I am fairly certain PNP OS is off. I will make sure.

I will also disable APIC in the BIOS and see what happens.

After that I will install the new Kernel that Knoppix has. I have also downloaded a compiled the new module mentioned above corretly. It will insmod with no errors.

After disabling, I will let you know.
    -- Mathias

I have downloaded Kernel 2.4.22. According to the change log, there are some fixes that address the issue I received before (the unresolved symbols when trying to install the module) as well as patches for ACPI, IRQ's etc. I will try the new kernel when I have time to compile it.

PNP OS was off in my BIOS. I enabled it to see what would happen and got the same results as when it was off. I could not find a way to shut of APIC in my BIOS. It may not be supported on my board, but I will look again.

Gotta do homework now.

I will be in touch. Thanks for the problem rounder. I am learning a lot.
    -- Mathias