Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linux

Linux

well, im thinking of moving to linux, try it out, you know, whatever.
    lol

well, this will be new for me, and i know there are advantages and several disadvantages to having Linux.
    i think the advantage is that its stable. i think the disadvantage would be the fact that not alot of games support it, and I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LINUX!!!! WHOOOOooooo

yea, so if you could tell me which linux version to get, i'll get it and bother ya'll later with some stupid questions that will make you want to choke me.

I would start with Knoppix Linux until you are familar with Linux. Knoppix will runn from a CD. It detects all you hardware on boot and you do not need to mess with you hard drives or system data in any way.

When you are ready to Install Linux onto a hard disk to run a dual OS system (WIndows and Linux) or just Linux you should get Redhat or Mandrake. Redhat and Mandrake are the two I use. Redhat since version 6 and mandrak since version 7.1.
    -- Mathias

No way d00d. You need instructions when using a water faucet.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by ConfusedAlien
    I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LINUX!!!! WHOOOOooooo
    be prepared for lots of fun ahead... since you are starting from scratch.

if you want to start a little toughy then try debian otherwise Redhat and Mandrake are pretty good distros.

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    No way d00d. You need instructions when using a water faucet.

Mandrake is considered by also everyone to be the most user friendly. From my limited experience of using Mandrake, Red Hat, and Slackware, I'd say Mandrake is light years ahead of everyone else in terms of user friendliness.

Linux will probably blow your mind at first. It did mine. It's completely different from Windows.

Originally posted by Greymon

Linux will probably blow your mind at first. It did mine. It's completely different from Windows.
    yup....i nearly screwed up with windows 98 when i first tried linux.

but only once...its pretty handy to have a second hdd when doing linux.

Disk Druid completely blew me off with its stupid interface in earlier releases of Redhat.

Linux is quite boring to me. Been trying out OGo Knoppix lately. I don't even ask my kids if they want to try any of the different flavours I get a whim to d/l; they simply don't use them after a day or so. Still has a long way to go to catch Windows XP/2000 IMO of course. Other opinions may vary.

What linux to Try?

If you want to really learn how linux ticks from the ground up, and have lots of time on your hands, with extremely awesome instruction booklet. then try Gentoo Linux
    this Operassting system kicks

If anyone want's to try a net install of SuSe 8.2 there are some good instructions on how to do it HERE .

SuSe does not offer a free download version, just a live eval cd that can be downloaded. They do offer a free net (FTP Install).

hey

mandrake is pretty easy to use , about games theres no good game for linux lol

but oh well yes is stable

Im liking linux so far.. I have madrake on my laptop and redhat on my server.
    Many of the programs I normally use on a windows i can use in linux (e.g. GIMP)
    I prefer mandrake to linux for a personal desktop because it seems to be more compatable with more hardware and it is easy to configure as well.
    RedHat is great for a server but the only problem I have run into is setting up apache and dns.
    I would suggest that you dual boot that way you get the best of both worlds.
    I still have windows xp pro on another laptop so that can access certain things that i cannot do with linux as of yet.

Re: hey

Originally posted by memot
    mandrake is pretty easy to use , about games theres no good game for linux lol

but oh well yes is stable
    Linux Games

I've been using Slackware for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. Now I use Windows just to play games.

I tried to put Knoppix on an intel 450mhz
    machine with 256 Sd-Ram.. No Video except for text mode. I tried every cheat code I could find. I checked a few boards and that seems to be a major problem with it. I installed it on an Intel 200mhz Machine with 80 meg of Edo and it worked but its too slow. Bad Bad Bad! The first thing any Os needs is Video. I found Knoppix to be unacceptable by any standard.