Thread: Outlook Express and Contacts

Outlook Express and Contacts

I have my outlook express set up and lots of contacts. I'm moving to a new Windows, outlook, etc? (all the same as the old ones)

Which files do I copy from the old windows to the new windows to get all my contacts back?

btw, my old windows is corrupted to boot up, I still have access to all the files though. Just can't boot up.

Thanks

Intimate Member
    Normally, we export the address book to a floppy disk, then inport it back into the new Windows Outlook Express. To do this, you must be able to access the working Outlook Express.

Why is the old Windows corrupted?...what have you tried to get it working again..at least long enough to get to your data.

If there is a way to save the address book from DOS, I don't know how.

In XP (Don't know your OS)

C:/program files/outlook express there is a program wab.exe that maybe that can work in DOS.

Under Win 98SE (or Win ME) the location of the OE mail storage is C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{Long string ID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

Under Win 2000 (or Win XP) the location of the OE mail storage is C:\Documents and Settings\{your username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Long string ID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

The things in {} will be different on your system then on
    Things that make you go HMMMMMM...

thanks guys

Yes, I know the "trick" of copying the entire folder \Identities\{Long string ID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express under my own setting. Done that but it only gave me back all the boxes and old emails (inbox, outbox, etc). Missing the most important, needed part -- the valuable contacts. There must be somewhere that stores those entries.

Bovon, my old win2k was severely "corrupted" that some important programs couldn't run. The OS itself was running ok though. I wanted to get a new OS up fast without destroying the old one so I partition it up and restore the good image on. I hoped for a dual boot. But ****, this replaced the old OS' boot track and it no longer bootable. So, I've been migrating data to the new OS. Great successes in many areas so far. Just not the contacts

hehe oh well.

To backup the Outlook Express address book, I use Export > Other Address Book> Text, Comma Separated Values. Follow the instructions. It turns it into an Excel file.

You can import/export it to other Microsoft applications, including uploading to Hotmail.

You get the columns just right or play with them, you can imports lists of names from all kinds of places.
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

Originally posted by RayH
    To backup the Outlook Express address book, I use Export > Other Address Book> Text, Comma Separated Values. Follow the instructions. It turns it into an Excel file.

You can import/export it to other Microsoft applications, including uploading to Hotmail.

You get the columns just right or play with them, you can imports lists of names from all kinds of places.
    Sadly, I do not do things in a normal way!
    life needs more challenge

search for ( *.wab and *.wa~ )

the bosses 2 were in the same dir but you might have more than one location

In XP pro it is

C:\Documents and Settings\"YOUR NAME"\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Default.wab
    Things that make you go HMMMMMM...

Originally posted by HRM
    In XP pro it is

C:\Documents and Settings\"YOUR NAME"\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Default.wab
    whooowhooo, work like a charm.

Thanks Hrm and Dave.
    I can really tell HRM took his time to poke around hehehe

:

the bosses xp pro is "YOUR NAME" . wab

good thing he's not here

and i half to shlep around with win98se

OOPS - maybe will have to go back to 1812 instead of 1914 and reference the peoples FRENCH revolution