Thread: How large of a print can I get from my 4 megapixel digital camera.

How large of a print can I get from my 4 megapixel digital camera.

Hi, I own a Canon Power Shot S-45. I understand how if one wants to print anything at 8X10 or larger should get a camera that is at least 3 megapixel. Now my question is, how large of a print could I get with my S-45 without losing much quality? The three sizes I'm considering are 8X10, 11X14, and 16X20. I would prefer a 16X20, but I'm not sure if 4 megapixel would do it. Would there be a big difference between 4megapixel and 5megapixel camera at 16X20? Thanks for answering!!

I have a fuji finepix 4.0 megapixels. The overall size of the picture taken without any reduction is around 25x33 inches at 72 dpi. If you are to reduce to 16 x 20 (inches i presume) and increase the resolution to 150 dpi, i think you will still get a sharp picture.

Ultimate Member
    On my Sony 4 MP camera, I can print a 8x10.6 photo @ 213 dpi, it doesn't look bad, but I prefer to print photo's at 300+ DPI to get a truly sharp picture... That being said, I usually don't go bigger than 5x7 if I want photo quality prints.

11X14 will be very good. 16 x 20 will still be good but if you don't want to see any pixels up close you would be better off with a 5 megapixel camera.

Pete