Thread: How long to set up Exchange Server?

How long to set up Exchange Server?

I have 2 workstations and one server. I want to use Outlook on both PC's so that we can delegate each other tasks, share calendars and share some folders.

1. How long would it take (approx) to set up? Minutes, hours, days?

2. Could an non-exchange experienced IT consultant set it up ok? i.e. could I do it?

Thanks,

Jon

Well I spent about a day fiddling with that I was trying to setup a machine loaded with win 2003 server to send e-mails containing different subjects and addresses to different machines. Never did manage it.
    What version of exchange are you using?

I have Windows XP pro as my Server. I have the disk for Microsoft Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server.

Does this mean if I install it on Win XP Pro, my Server will lose Win XP Pro? Or is the Exchange 2000 Server just an application that runs on it?

Are there no wizards with it?

Jon

Its just an application that runs in the background.

I don't really understand it all but I'm sure with the help of the people here you could get it setup.
    You could also e-mail Microsoft regarding any problems they actually can be very helpful.

Hmmm...I'm a little scared. Just had a look, tried to run the installation wizard and it said I need Active Directory installed or something.

Looks like there is so much I have to learn before I can do anything. Is that correct?

Jon

Yeah I found it all to be WHOOSH over my head kind of stuff.

I went to scriptlance to ask how much time it would take an offshore guy to do it. They quoted between 5 and 50 hours for installation and configuration.

I was amazed! I only want to connect 2 PC's together.

Active Directory can only be installed on Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server.

You can, however, manage Active directory from an XP workstation...but you can't install it there.

Personally, I think an Exchange server for only two machines is a bit, better yet, alot of overkill.

I remember an older post by you, Jon...did the networked folders not work out for you??

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=141880

I am using Outlook 2003 beta. This does not allow shared net folders so I need another solution.

As am I.
    Don't know if it's worth all the trouble, since you're going to have limited functionality (Who knows what MS means by that) after Nov. 30th, anyways...

Since Outlook uses a .pst, as you know, no way to share it....I've tried.

Exchange server is the ticket, but it sounds like you have some reading and studying to do first!!

There is a product I am researching at the moment called OutlookFolders at www.outlookfolders.com

Seems like it might do the trick.

Jon