Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to setup ADSL please?

How to setup ADSL please?

hi all, bear with me on this one, I'm a totla hardware retard when it comes to BB.

Ok, here's the situation.
    I am currently on a dialup connection with freeserve, and I use ot for 2 computers. however, it isn't shared, I just unplug hte extension and put it into the other computer when I want to sue it.

however, I want ADSL now. I have wanted it for a while, but never got round to it. I have checked the availablility etc, and come ot the conclusion that I want pipex 512k.

I read a few tutorials etc, but I want someone to put it simply for me if possible. Basically, I'm confused. I want ADSL, but I want it shared over my 2 computers.

As far as I know, this means I need the connection, 2 modems, a router.....? See, I'm totally confused. Could someone please list for me exactly what I'm going to have to do and buy please in order to get setup?

sorry to sound like such a moron

cheers, too_much.
    Eh?

Hey too_much, I'm also in the same predicament with this.

As far as I can see there are three ways - all of which are allegedly correct, even though two of all three are contradictory.

Setup1

The Internet -> Modem -> Router -> As many machines as the router can take (that have network cards / ethernet ports)

This was my first idea, which was confirmed to be correct by a good friend of mine. Basically, all machines are able to connect to the internet through the router and modem. In my case this would be a wireless setup, but that is by the by.

However, due to the handshaking process that has to happen, it was thought by another friend that if the first machine (PC / laptop whatever) connects to the internet, it would have to 'log in' to the broadband account. Thus, when a second machine tried to access it (also by the same login procedure) there would be seen to be a current connection, resulting in either being unable to connect (as already connected by another machine on the network) or that the first person would be booted off the connection as the second connects. This would mean we would have to have:

Setup2

The Internet -> modem -> Server machine -> router - > as many machines as the router can take.

This example shows that the server machine is responsible for performing the logging on, and the rest of the machines running off the router, proxy their connection through the server. Seems valid enough, and makes sense.

However, I have also read that you can have the extremely simple...

Setup3

The Internet -> modem -> switch -> all machines that the switch can take.

Basically, just the same as setup one. Most routers are router/switches so there is little difference apart from the fact that switches are cheaper :P

All ideas are dependant by which part of the process the 'logging on' is taken care of at - this link -> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ear-dg824m.asp states that the router modem in question stores the login details, and logs in whenever it is turned on. Indicating that a server machine isnt necessary.

All options make sense - I cant talk to the guy who actually 'knows' till wednesday, so I'll come back and give an answer then but if anyone else could help us it would be most appreciated.

The ISP doesn't just run the wires and leave you stranded. They provide the hardware and instructions. Relax. You're getting waaay too far ahead of yourself for nothing.

The key is to be sure that they supply an Ethernet-capable modem. Do not accept a modem which is strictly USB. This way, you can use a router later.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill to the rescue

I was thinking along those lines hyborn, but this is one area of hardware I never really looked into, as I was convinced that my 56k was good enough for me, at the time. However, loading sites like sysopt and other unmentionables is taking the **** these days, so I'm sick of it

So Bill, should I just phone/get in contact with nildram/pipex and start getting quotes? Money isn't really an issue, but I don't want to pay lots for something I don't have to...

cheers, too_much
    Eh?

What are you waiting for?
    MS MCP, MCSE

heh good point!

One other thing, as far as NIC cards are concerned, what do I need? My main rig has an integrated 10/100 adaptor thing, lol, is that all I need in this one? Then another card in the other?
    Eh?

Yes - pick up a Linksys LNE100TX.
    MS MCP, MCSE

... so, will, Internet -> ethernet modem -> router -> 2 PC's with Nics will work allowing either PC to independantly connect to the web?

Does the router hold the login info and connect to the broadband server itself when it is switched on - a link I think is posted above for this model - or would the PCs 'log on' and authenticate that the user is who they are supposed to be.

I need both machines to be able to access the internet independantly as well as one and / or the other one.

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    The ISP doesn't just run the wires and leave you stranded. They provide the hardware and instructions. Relax. You're getting waaay too far ahead of yourself for nothing.

The key is to be sure that they supply an Ethernet-capable modem. Do not accept a modem which is strictly USB. This way, you can use a router later.
    Meh, Im stuck with two usbs adsl modems, nothing I can do either. Money, for me too, isnt really an option, I just want to get this sorted asap.

You can't use a router with USB modems. You have to dial-up yourself.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I know you cant use a router with USB modems, hence my prev. post:

... so, will, Internet -> ethernet modem -> router -> 2 PC's with Nics will work allowing either PC to independantly connect to the web?

Bill mate, you didn't tell me if my integrated 10/100 thingy is ok..... so im not really sure.

Also, I just spotted a router on Nildram's site for £75 :| Am I going to have to pay something like this?

If you can find anything I will need on aria.co.uk or ebuyer.co.uk then great

I want to be setup within the next 3 or 4 weeks if poss.
    Eh?

Originally posted by too_much
    Bill mate, you didn't tell me if my integrated 10/100 thingy is ok..... so im not really sure.

Also, I just spotted a router on Nildram's site for £75 :| Am I going to have to pay something like this?

If you can find anything I will need on aria.co.uk or ebuyer.co.uk then great

I want to be setup within the next 3 or 4 weeks if poss.
    Any 10/100 NIC (network interface card) should be fine for a normal ethernet network (which is what you are going for)

Originally posted by too_much

Seems like you want to ready in 2 minutes.

I said "yes", didn't I?

Get a Linksys BEFSR41 router. It should cost less than £50.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=37451
    MS MCP, MCSE

He's gonna need an ethernet modem on top of that right?