Thread: Autorun CD??

Autorun CD??

I want to put a Powerpoint show (.pps) on a CD and have it run automatically when it is inserted into the drive. I created an autorun.inf file instructing it to open the pps file. It seems that autorun is expecting to run a .exe file. Is this true and can I get around it?

Thanks in advance.

is True

you need a Power Point viewer to be able to run .PPS files

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Set your autorun.inf file to bat to a batch file.

[autorun]
    open=autorun.bat

make the batch filke look like this:
    @echo off
    start.exe file.pps

START.EXE is a valid Win32 application so the autorun file will work. START.EXE will make windows look at the file type and launch the appropriate program. This is also how you can make your own HTML autorun files. START.EXE needs to be in the search PATH or windows will not find START.EXE. START.EXE is part of Windows so it should be in C:\WINDOWS, C:\WINT or the system folder.

It works. They will still need powerpoint or a viewer for this to work like allgamer said. [edit] this is based on file associations. if .htm and/or .html file are associated with an editor such as frontpage, frontpage will launch. IF there is no association for a power point show (.pps) file, windows will give the file association error. [/edit]
    Last edited by rraehal; 06-19-2003 at 04:05 PM.
    -- Mathias

Ultimate Member
    Autorun.inf Editor v1.4 -

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

"Easily create the Autorun.inf file that allows programs on CD run automatically when the CD is inserted! Now the CDs you create can automatically display a web page, text file, navigate the user's web browser to a support web site, launch a setup program, and more."

Eric,
    http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm
    PC Buyer Beware!