Thread: Thermalright SLK900U

Thermalright SLK900U

I have seen this monster of a heatsink but the reviews i keep seeing all have screw involved. I'm an AMD user so i will be using the mounting parts for socket462 only. however my motherboard, like most 462 mobos now hasnt the four holes for mounting large coolers like the SLK.
    does this mean i cannot use the slk900u? please tell me it comes with an AMD mounting clip for the socket lugs!!

Gone
    Just like its little bro the sk800(A)/(U). The U means the bolt type. I dont believe there is an A version of 900 due to its weight being to o much for the clips. THats what the bolt style is about. The bolt holes are still in various oclocking mobo's today they arent gone. Mine has them and its newer. Asus A7N8X deluxe. The 8rda+ didnt in first version but did later in next rev. Some other nforce2 mobo also did this but changed over very early as review sites bickerd about no bolt holes. They were added.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    ThermalRight SLK900 This the new top dog from ThermalRight and if you are familiar with their products that is saying a lot. This is one big, bad piece of copper. The SLK900 fits either P4-478 or any Socket CPU from AMD or Intel. This time around it bolts down to the board instead of clips so the added weight of all this copper is never going to be a problem. And here's the good part, install your favorite 80 or 92mm fan on top!! That's right, you can put an big 92mm fan on top, this gives you the advantage of having more airflow and less noise because bigger fans don't have to move as much air. This is our current reigning performance leader in heatsinks. Price is $49 plus S&H..

1coolpc.com

get the slk-800 and you can use the mounting clips, nearly as good as the 900 but you don't need bolt holes and i got a 80mm fan on it.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Originally posted by j.m@talk21.com
    That's right, you can put an big 92mm fan on top, this gives you the advantage of having more airflow and less noise because bigger fans don't have to move as much air.
    I don't mean to nitpick, but isn't the reason why a larger fan can be quieter than a smaller fan is because a larger fan moves more air per rpm than a smaller fan. Thus, less rpm equates to less noise.

just my 2cents.

will the SLK900u work using a Soyo (645dx) Ultra Dragon (not lite) MB? thinking about getting one for my new 2.8 ghz (533 fsb) intel cpu.

well i couldnt find an SLK800A so i settled with an SK-7. YSTECH 80mm 5.8W fan.(2500RPM)

on and AMD2000+ with room temp of 29-30C i have 38C idle and 43C load. well the fans noisy though. modded the voltage to 7v now its 41-45C. paid abt US$47 for the fan and heatsink.

CaptERiker

You need to check out the mobo spec but for sure, checkout he thermalright web site and drop em an email if you can't find nuthin.

http://www.thermalright.com/

PS welcome to sysopt.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Gone
    Originally posted by ch0wdy^

I don't mean to nitpick, but isn't the reason why a larger fan can be quieter than a smaller fan is because a larger fan moves more air per rpm than a smaller fan. Thus, less rpm equates to less noise.

just my 2cents.
    In part yes. But not entirely. Most noise is generated by the fan tips not the blades edge. So its not just rpm's but the actual shape and agresivness of blades twist that it. Specially at the tip of blades. Hence TMD fans have a outer ring (like a blower fan blade has) and make less noise at the SAME rpm's. Compair a 70mm delta at 5500rpms to a TMD at 5600rpms. And the delta is about 50db while the TMD is 38db. Dif blades-no tips. Makes big sound dif. Plus that "whine sound" high rpms give is due to the tips.

YS-TECH fans have been found to fail more often than conventionally driven fans.

Gone
    That was before the recall. Suposedly dif batch now and they assured these arent the "same" TMD fans. YS tech has changed them to fix the problem. One of the reviews I read the author emailed YS and Vantec to inquire about it. THey didnt want to give high recomendations of a HS that comes with a bad fan. THey were told only the ones before recall exhibited early failure and thus was the reason for the recall. I.E. a reputable dealer like newegg doesnt have the old prerecall ones anylonger. THey were sent back.

Ah, gotcha. I bet TigerDirect has several tons of them.

oooh i see. make sense as the tips'd be the most unstable part of the blade, as it is farthest from the anchored center