Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll : What is YOUR Operating System ?

Hybrid View

Poll : What is YOUR Operating System ?

Yep, ND opened his own poll

Me and my friend from the computer shop argued yesterday which OS is most common. He is pure fan of NT/2000, and sure everyone who knows something about computers won't touch Win9x. Yet, he agrees that most ppl doesn't take advantage of all the things NT/2000 proposes ... still, he keeps installing 2000 on every comp he sells, and by this contributes to 2000 community
    We spoke about Linux/BeOS and likes too, and agreed that these are truly uncommon, and no freshman will use it untill he knows something more than just hanging around. I showed him the SysOpt, and told him that we can for sure find out who's right here : me - Windows 98/SE, he - Windows NT 4/2000. We're almost 17000 ppl here, and althought only few percents are active, it will be pretty right about the rest of Earth population

Six-pack of Heineken is involved, so I ask you to be as serious as you can. Please specify only the computers you deal with, home or work, type of OS and version number, all the OSes accepted, but just on PC !

P.S. RobRich, I'm aware of your topic , this is different

Thank YOU very much ...

First visitor on my own topic

Home - Windows 98 SE
    Work - Windows 2000

SO FAR :
    1. Windows 98 SE / Windows 2000

Home - ME
    Work - 98se

Ultimate Member
    Windows 98FE at home
    Windows 95SE at work
    I hate the ones at work. P2-400 Dell's
    adds new meaning to the words slow.

Ultimate Member
    Work: Win2000
    Home: Win2000/ME (dual boot )

Stan

Home=2 running win2k, one running windows 98se
    Work= 2 running windows 95

win98 se on all 4 computers

[This message has been edited by suzuki1 (edited 04-30-2001).]

Work: NT 4.0\2000
    Home: NT 4.0

SiteCharts.com
    Work: WinXP Beta 2 (and loving it!!!)
    Home: none installed but will be either WinXP, WinME or Win2K

socalgal
    Home:

W2K Pro
    W2K Pro
    ME (not much longer )

[This message has been edited by socalgal (edited 04-30-2001).]

Ultimate Member
    Laptop: Win98SE

Home machine: Win2k

Prefer win2k and I would install it on the laptop too if I could find drivers. Win9x is great for games, but since Win2k came out, there is very littler reason to use it as my main OS.

WinME/Win2k Dualboot (Win2k for use, WinME for troubleshooting other ppl's comps so I can step-by-step with them...and for old old DOS games )

When I make comps for other people, I always use WinME unless they request otherwise, because I feel everyone and thier pets know that "windows sucks", and will expect it to crash every once in a while. However, when they try to run something, and it doesn't work, I feel its a bad reason to give that "it just doesnt work in the OS I installed for you". I build for mostly for other teenageers (read: gamers), so I dont want to run into any problems like that.
    Also, WinME is easier to use than Win2k (easier shares, no account management, and other stuff halfway confusing to the average user).

I would use Win98SE instead on thier comps, being more stable and all, but I think they would feel a little jipped to have an OS that says 98 on it when its 2001 (Actually this was one of the more prominent reason I bought the upgrade from 98 to ME for my own comp...good market plan MS, ya got me )

So I guess the answer is that I use Win2k, but all the comps I build for others, I use WinME (No exceptions yet, except for mom's comp, whcih I can support easily if needed, and another comp from my mom's friend that had NT4 on it, and was asked to 'reinstall everything').

I think I'll put it another way - WinME for all my peers, and Win2k for adult userss and myself

So - Win2k...Sorry that was so longwinded.

You also have to consider the general populace of people who buy $1000-$2000 comps from Dell and Gateway and other comp resellers, that are almost always loaded with WinME.
    NT/2000 computers mostly include computers that dont belong to any one person - such as computers in librarys, computers in computer labs in college campuses, computers in accounting offices, or any other offices, computers with specific duties such as point-of-sales and inventory computers, and the like. I think Win9x/ME is more prevalent among PCs that people own, but of ALL computers, I'm not too sure.

If you take a poll here, I think your results might be slanted, since many of us built our own comps and have the option of picking the OS we want, and we know the reasons why one OS is better. Generally, many people may pick ME over 2K or 98 because its was the latest to be released. Some people may pick ME because they think all OSs perform the same things, and that which one you dont have doesnt matter, and ME is cheaper anyways. So the people whom just dont know better wont have a say in the poll of yours.

On the flip side, computers in librarys, campuses, point of sales, inventory, etc., running NT4/2000 also don't have a say in this poll.

Excuse the long tirade, but I think after last night's English paper, I'm just in a ranting mood. Sorry bout that.

Home= 98se,linux,BeOS
    Wanting 2000

[This message has been edited by Dove19983 (edited 04-30-2001).]

Mntsnow
    Home
    Win2k Pro, Win2K advanced server, WinXP, Win98, ME, ME, and ME

Work. All Win2K and veriants there of..including a couple of old NT4 servers

Mine...900Tbird
    Win98se/WinME (dual boot)

Brother's...500 Classic Athlon
    Win98se

Grandma's...P100 Vectra
    Win98se

I do the maintenance on all these machines, so I guess that counts. I would have Linux as the second boot on mine, but there are no Linux drivers for my Radeon DDR+.