Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20

Thread: Poll : What is YOUR Operating System ?

It was nice to see a syspot thread pop up on email again, I haven't been by in ages. Teaching high school will do that to you... Maybe that's a good reason to go digging up old threads, just to get the old members to check back in again.

Nowadays it's xp sp2 on the desktop and laptop and win2k on the little guy's laptop (p3-700, it doesn't need the xp cruft). Won't touch Vista until at least sp1. I've tried linux, but not recently, I've heard the new distros are much more user friendly. In fact, I have a lab at school that's full of medieval hardware (p2-400s?). Would there be a linux that I could throw on them to at least make them web browsers and word processors?

skip vista

Lets skip vista and go to 7

Quote Originally Posted by tking
    Would there be a linux that I could throw on them to at least make them web browsers and word processors?
    Try www.Ubuntu.com

Xubuntu is a subset that carries much lighter tasking, which should be even better for your P2's
    Last edited by Shoreguy; 04-02-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It was nice to see a syspot thread pop up on email again, I haven't been by in ages. Teaching high school will do that to you... Maybe that's a good reason to go digging up old threads, just to get the old members to check back in again.

Nowadays it's xp sp2 on the desktop and laptop and win2k on the little guy's laptop (p3-700, it doesn't need the xp cruft). Won't touch Vista until at least sp1. I've tried linux, but not recently, I've heard the new distros are much more user friendly. In fact, I have a lab at school that's full of medieval hardware (p2-400s?). Would there be a linux that I could throw on them to at least make them web browsers and word processors?
    I hear that, i've gotten very busy with fiber optics broadcast television work for HD video, audio, data serial any flavor, IP, etc.

I also got back into my motorcycles and I have thousands of posts on half a dozen forums, and the biggest OC'd bike of my model and vintage known to any of them

I have 4 comps currently... my unlocked Barton still is posting this message with Win2K latest rev, the backup AMD 2100 same OS, 2 laptops, 1 with XPPro and the other XPhome. I'm due for a new Vista desktop and a new Vista laptop.

Vista on my pc, Vista on my sons, XP on another, OSx on laptop.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Lets see, computers in the house.

vista x 2
    xp x 5
    W2K x 4 ( 2 of these with 98 dual boot )

Im sure i missed a few but thats all the ones that are running at least
    to many pc's to list

Windows Me .....I love a challenge
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreguy
    Try www.Ubuntu.com

Xubuntu is a subset that carries much lighter tasking, which should be even better for your P2's
    Thanks, that's just what I needed. I looked at Ubuntu (I'd heard nice things), but the requirements for the regular version was way to heavy for the old beasts at school. Xubuntu sounds like a perfect fit.

Ubuntu is still a nice operating system. Just gotta be sure nobody can access the terminal or install things since it's easy to kill.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehail
    I personally use Windows 2000
    I bought XP for five dollars and put that on my brothers comp. XP isnt bad at all, I wouldn't mind using it myself but something tells me I dont need all that memory overhead
    For five bucks, man. where u living?

Thanks, that's just what I needed. I looked at Ubuntu (I'd heard nice things), but the requirements for the regular version was way to heavy for the old beasts at school. Xubuntu sounds like a perfect fit.
    I have been able to get Knoppix 5.0 Live CD to run on an old Compaq 266 Celly w/o problems.

After finally taming ME several years back, I'm perfectly content to leave things as they are. Heck, I was still using Win 3.1 in late 2000 when I bought my current system, an 866 Mhz PIII. With almost NOTHING running in the tasklist, my system is nearly as fast as the wife's 1.8 Pentium M laptop running XP. I guess I'll finally break down and get another machine when Vista SP1 comes out.

I have one of almost everything from MS-DOS 6.22 to XP no Vista yet.
    Good Luck

Vista Business (Main PC)

XP Home (Laptop)