Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What types of metals set off metal detectors?

What types of metals set off metal detectors?

Like the title says: what types of metals set off metal detectors? Also, what types of things (cell phones, 2 way radios) set off metal detectors? I just want to know as I will be taking a trip to D.C. and other places soon.

Thanxs

I know I thing for sure.............

You can't get thru a metal detector with a Blue Box of Windows Millenium.............................

Intimate Member
    Years ago, early metal detectors would only get readings on metal such as steel, iron ect. Gold, silver, lead ect would not be detected. If you are talking about detectors in todays security systems at air ports ect...forget it. They will detect just about all (if not all) metals..different technology. The last time I went thru one I divested myself of everything but forgot my ring...it caught it.

I think it would depend on what technology the "metal detector" uses.

Here is a site explaining of how metal detectors work:
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/metal-detector.htm
    Mention the words metal detector and you'll get completely different reactions from different people. For instance, some people think of combing a beach in search of coins or buried treasure. Other people think of airport security, or the handheld scanners at a concert or sporting event.
    Funny that you guys thought of security things while I was thinking buried treasure! a-hoy there! Guess it is a sign of the times.

BTW- Metal Detecting is one of my hobbies. I always find metal ..sometimes it is even worth keeping. I also find lots those darn soda can pull-tabs from the 70s! lol
    Regards

well i've been to Many airports and now in day i can say THEY SEE ALL METALS

even if you have just more than 1 button in your Jeans it goes off

it'll be OK if you only have 1 Button in your jeans

but say a Levis original, the ones with 4 or 5 buttons, instead of the Zippers, those goes off

so it's all metal now

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

If they up the sensitivity, it will catch the fillings in your teeth.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Intimate Member
    Originally posted by Nathan G.
    Funny that you guys thought of security things while I was thinking buried treasure! a-hoy there!
    Actually, I did think about the beach combing type of metal detector. I used to do some of that.. I had a White metal detector back in the late 60s when that was the ONLY metal detector to have.

The reason I homed in on security was bob05 comment:
    "I just want to know as I will be taking a trip to D.C. and other places soon."

A security guard at a military air base told me that when they first installed the new detector, it would bleep for the wire in women's Bra's until they turned the sensitivity down.

*sorry luv ...you'll have to remove your bra for a more thorough inspection*.

Originally posted by Strawbs

*sorry luv ...you'll have to remove your bra for a more thorough inspection*.
    LOL

sorry ... hellooooo nurse .... erh.. mind removing your bra and panty clips for an inspection?
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Ultimate Member
    Last time i went through a metal detector, i had:
    10 Bronze BB pellets
    Metal rimmed glasses
    Money

And got through

Hmmmm. Lets see... You want to know what sets off metal detectors b/c you're going to DC and other places. Why would you ask a question like that in this day and age of terrorism?

INTERESTING QUESTION..
    Pogito

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    At a guess I would say Metallic metal

Originally posted by RGraze
    ...Why would you ask a question like that in this day and age of terrorism?
    Gee ...do yu think that mebee it might have been a *Joke*.

Synonyms:_banter, chaff, deceive, deride, fool, frolic, fun, gambol, horse around, horseplay, jest, jive, jolly, josh, kibitz, kid around, laugh, make merry, mock, needle, play, play tricks, poke fun, pun, put on, quip, rag, raise hell, razz, revel, rib, ride, ridicule, roast, spoof, sport, taunt, tease, trick, wisecrack

Concept:_*humour*

Originally posted by RGraze
    Hmmmm. Lets see... You want to know what sets off metal detectors b/c you're going to DC and other places. Why would you ask a question like that in this day and age of terrorism?
    So as to not bring this types of metals on or give them to the guard so the alarm doesnt go off.

Thanxs, everyone else, for your reponses. I will use this in helping me on my trip.