Thread: internet connectivity issues

internet connectivity issues

Lately ive noticed more and more that my computer has been having trouble connecting to some filesharing clients, chat clients, and some online multiplayer games. I contacted comcast, my internet service provider, and asked if they connected me through a proxy or if i was behind a firewall. They answered me that no im not connected through a proxy, and that they have not placed be behind a firewall(nor do i have any software firewalls installed)...however tech support told me that my router my have a firewall built in.... Im using an RCA DCM235 cable modem, and i have no clue what i should do next, and i would really like to get this solved(if possible) any information is appreciated

Simple troubleshooting works best. Pick up a copy of TJPing:

http://www.topjimmy.net/tjs/tjping.html

Type in the general domain that you're trying to connect too (www.whatever.com) and do a Trace. You may notice that you are timed out after a specific router junction. That would be the problem router. You can then copy and paste that data into an e-mail to tech support at Comcast.

Try resetting your router now and then too. It's not a firewall in the router that's the problem. It's something else - guaranteed.
    MS MCP, MCSE

My guess is something with the OS you are using

check for SPY WAREs and also for TROJANs

here try this speed test

http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

you should be getting over at least 1.2 Mbps

here's my speed

http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidt...=&AreaCode=123

same cable modem almost (DCM-205 older), same comcast

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

I tried tjping, and got no errors at all, and also, i scanned for virii and trojans and came up with none, also scanned for spyware and such and none of that either....did the speed test, came up at around 1.0-1.2 varying, while i was downloading something else....

could it just be that windows ME is the biggest bug that microsoft ever created?

i also just ran some tests for "internet security" at https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 which said "Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!" and "Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer"
    i ran another port test from teh same website and it gave a long list of different ports on my computer which were opperating in "stealth" and could not be detected at all, followed by saying that i must be running some sort of stealth firewall....yet i still have no clue
    Last edited by Triton; 05-28-2003 at 07:04 PM.

Originally posted by Triton
    could it just be that windows ME is the biggest bug that microsoft ever created?
    You mean that there's room for doubt?
    MS MCP, MCSE

lol

like we quote on other threads

WinME = Windows Microsoft Error

anyways my original guess was right, it's the software that is acting sluggish

try to close down everything and stop all the stuff loaded in run lines

use MSCONFIG and dissable everything that you don't know, or don't need

like stupid Quicktime and, RealPlayer, and etc etc etc

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

everything already was disabled in msconfig.....i guess the only solution is to get a new OS