Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best and easiest way to sharpen very dull katana?

Hybrid View

Best and easiest way to sharpen very dull katana?

I found a 43" katana in a large trash can. But was unbeliveably dull edge. I tried to use sharpening stone to sharpen it. But took forever and still dull. What can I do to make it sharp fast?

It's a Stainless steel 440.

bench grinder.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Re: Best and easiest way to sharpen very dull katana?

Originally posted by ATI RADEON 8500
    I found a 43" katana in a large trash can. But was unbeliveably dull edge. I tried to use sharpening stone to sharpen it. But took forever and still dull. What can I do to make it sharp fast?

It's a Stainless steel 440.
    Remind me not to come around your neighborhood....normally I don't look in trash cans and just find 43" katana's...

-B

That katana is more than likely just for show, if its dull.

I have 2 of 'em, that the edges were not sharpened. Which is fine by me, considering I also have a short sword that I've cut myself with.

I still prefer my good friends Smith & Wesson with their .357 friends

I use a 'ceramic brush' (a solid slab of ceramic fixed to a wooden handle) and some WD40 to sharpen mine up (440 stainless, ceremonial), ceramic sharpening grinders and some sort of oil are prefferable so you don't chip and chaffe the edge, oil to keep the metal intact.

using a bench grinder and/or a piece of stone will dull it even more, and worse, can actually wear/weaken the metal to the point if you hit something with it (even a tree, for instance) it'll come flying apart.

then again, if you just want to use it to do something like you'd see in Jackass, do whatever you want to it, maybe play stick-the-pidgeon-to-the tree or something hehe
    "Save us Booze, show us the way!"

Wait a second!

What the heck do you want to keep a katana for? Why did it end up in a large trash can?

Ask yourself! If the former owner can just sharpen the sword, why did he/she threw it away in the first place? You better check out the background first before taking that sword home. It may sound trouble and it may get nasty. Safety first!

Better safe then sorry!

Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Cheap fast reliable, and an edge you can cut with, bench grinder. My axe has never been sharper. or any of my butchers knives either for that matter.

If you just keeping it for show, does not need a cutting edge.

If it is just for show, why the heck did he need to sharpen it? Questionabale...

Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Actually for making the edge's on a blade, a bench type belt sander with fine paper is ideal for making the initial edge. The sword you found is more ornamental than anything else as a proper Katana depending on the style are usually measured to fit the person who it belongs to. Basically when held close to the guard(tsuba) and held down along side the leg the point should barely clear the ground (usually 25" - 30" blade length) depending on your height.
    440 carbon steel is not a good choice for a real Katana but rather 1050 spring or better.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Could be quite snazzy carving the "Sunday Joint" with that baby!

Acutally I went to the large blue trash can to dump some trash and I saw a 6x6x50 in box and I've seen swords delivered in that size of box so I figured what the hell why not and took the box home. and noticed the tape on the box was never cut off and the postage on it appeared that it was delivered that day. I opened it and saw a nice katana. The blade came very oily to preserve quality. But I did't care about quality. It's the sharpness.

I went to the address appeared on the box and ask if it belong to them. A nice cople said yes but they threw it out to punish their 17 years old son.

I love fighting with swords. I have a Bamboo sword 44" I fight with my friends often. Now I got a steel one. I wonder what my friend would say.

Bamboo sword eh, the one with the multipart bamboo sticks tied together with a leather handle? If so, here's a lesson for the day, they're called 'Shinai's', and are used in the art of kendo.

Theres an objective to it, but as myself and a few friends found out, its fun to buy a bunch of them, scatter them out somewhat 'hidden' threw a forest and then playing seak and destroy with each other hehehe

Dude, the kids parents threw it out? What on earth did he do, drown a puppy?

I got right annoyed when my parents threatened to thrown my things out, my dad even called the cops once just to have one come by and tell me that everything I owned (knife/sword collection, computer, beds, blankets, books, etc..) belonged to my DAD and that I had no *RIGHT* to tell HIM not to take MY things.

Sof well, that sucked, and I ended up hiding most of my things until I moved out, normally at friends houses or buried em at the park, which sucked, because I had to do this with my computer.

It was better then my dads, and he wanted it I tried to take it out of the house and over to a friends while he was standing there, the minute I got outside he called the cops and told them I was trying to steal 'his computer'. Man thats bogus, I worked and paid for the thing myself :P

Crappy trip down memory lane I reckon ;p

Good for the soul, fathers have every right to make their son's lives misreable as L until they get a family of their own.LOL.

In my case its the reverse, my son seems to "absorb" all my good stuff. PS, your father was btw, if you bought the pc its yours.

Sorry Ammok, it doesn't seem to work that way in the US. At least not in Michigan, the police officer came over, and instructed me (as per some statute) that because I was a minor, living as a dependent under my fathers roof, that all monetary assets or physical properties of (mine) rightfully belong to my father and if he wants them he can take them (freely) in a court of law, despite the fact I showed the officer various receipts and earning checks showing that I had paid for everything in it, and that I had gone and worked long hours to do so.

Basically, she told me "Sorry, but because you live in his house, he has the right to take anything you own with or without your permission."

That one really P*ssed me off and is the reason I moved out, not only was I shocked that there were laws in the US that made this legal, but I was appalled at the time my own father would do that. Felt like an animal, living in a cage, and I didn't even own the paper I sh*t on.

How can laws like this be "OK"???