Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: "~" file keeps showing up on desktop

I don't have it and I've been following this for days. I have win 2000 and ie6 and updated outlook express and use and update all of them. I haven't had kazzz since my last reformat two months ago. You might be onto something there.
    gch306

I don't use Kazaa. Never have. But I have gotten a couple of those ~ files.
    Windows 2000 with all updates.

Ultimate Member
    I haven't had kazza on my computer for about 4 months now.

New addition. I am on 98 right now. My 15k SCSI drive I had XP on failed the other night. I am getting the ~ file on it also. But it started after I installed MSN messenger #5.

But, I don't have kazaa. I do have a media player.

I too am suspicious of a virus that is collecting email addresses for whatever.....

Who can we ask? Anybody here friends with Bill?
    D.

I got another one on the ol' desktop today. I do NOT use Kazaa, but do use Media Player 7.01.00.3055 and IE6, win98se.

It appeared the last time that I added someone to my address book in Outlook Express, which may explain why it's a backup address book list.

I have Kazza Lite. So what's the problem, anyway?
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

~ file

Hello,
    The problem is that we-- I feel so violated when my computer gets a mind of its own and starts placing files on my desktop without my permission.

Seriously, I want to know what is causing it so I can either stop it, or at least feel comfortable that it isn't a hacker thing.

It is speading quicker than SARS.
    D.

Well, it seems I was right.

just follow this thread;

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?h...gbl%26rnum%3D5

It's just an outlook bug.

Now maybe this thread can die.

Banned
    well I really think we should keep it going and make it 10 pages

lets start the argument again:
    ITS A VIRUS AHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHH HELP A VIRUS UUUUUUUUUHHHHH NOOOOOOOO

...'nuff said.
    I figured it was harmless, but look at the time wasted..collectively...by this 'mystery' file. If we were all paid IT techies, it would have cost the industry a lot of 'cache'!
    Bill's next Q will probably fix it...or not.

~ file

I started seeing this on the desktop a few weeks ago. It only appears after using outlook express. I have never had Kazaa on my computer. The file also shows up in the root of C:\documents and settings\[primary user]. It clearly seems to be tied to use of the email program and nothing else. I also regularly install all the XP critical updates, so the theory of an update bug makes sense. Norton av and Spybot don't recognize any problem. Very annoying though.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Welcome to Sysopt!

That "~" (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is supposedly working on a fix. Many people are experiencing this problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to
    your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail. You can either just put up with it or

follow the uninstall directions for the patch at the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...94/default.asp

How to uninstall
    To remove the download, complete the following steps:

1. On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.)
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    3. In the list of currently installed programs, select Q330994 and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to remove the program.
    4. Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.
    Last edited by rangeral; 06-10-2003 at 11:42 PM.

...when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to
    your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail...

OR

if you manually add the sender directly to mailbox via Tools/Add Sender to mailbox

The rate of additions to my address book is slowing down, my collection of "~" files is growing more slowly in the bin.

The Tilde File Solved

got this from a friend.
    "The tilde file is the result of a windows update 330994 patch. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address book in Outlook express. You can see if you have the patch by going to IE....Help...About and seeing if the patch is listed there.

"One of the "fixes" from MS several months ago causes this glitch. The file is your yourname.wa~ file which on my PC resides in C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book .
    That file is the backup for yourname.wab (the OE Address Book). But now, after the glitch, the .wa~ file is no longer getting updated when you make a change to Address Book. Rather it goes to your Desktop as "~" instead of to C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book as yourname.wa~.
    However, your Address Book, itself, is still getting updated. So unless you worry about the backup no longer being updated(what good is it, anyway??), you can delete the "~" file. Or if you cannot live without the updated backup .wa~ file, then just rename that suspicious "~" file to yourname.wa~ and send it to the C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book folder (replacing the existing and now outdated yourname.wa~ file).
    Supposedly MS was working on a fix many months ago, but I have seen no announcement of one yet, and none of the recent MS fixes have cured the problem.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That "~" (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is supposedly working on a fix. Many people are experiencing this problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail. You can either just put up with it or follow the uninstall directions for the patch at the link below.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...94/default.asp