Thread: Active X problems in IE 6

Active X problems in IE 6

I am trying to run Windows Update on an XP Box. Each time it says, "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result page may not be displayed correctly". I have reduced the security settings to the lowest. Even then I get the same message. I downoaded a patch from Microsoft website, installed it, and restarted the machine. But still problem persists. I get the same message...

One of the main reasons I am trying to get get updates is that it does not allow user to sign in on certain sites like hotmail etc. The version of Explorer running on this machine is 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920.
    Also, it does not allow user to sign into MSN Messenger.
    Any idea's or suggestions...

Could ActiveX be the reason for not being able to sign into hotmail and MSN Messenger...

Thanks.

think i had a similar problem the other day

go under HELP>About Internet Explorer

see if the Cipher Strength is set to 128bit

re-install IE6 + SP2 onto of itself

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

ActiveX/IE problems

Yeah the Cipher Strength is set to 128 bit. The machine is also running AOL. Do u think that could be a problem. I deleted the 2 dll files for windows updates iuengine.dll and iuctll.dll and tried to run windows update again. But I repeatedly get the message"
    "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result page may not be displayed correctly".

I tried to install IE 6 again. But it says it cannot be installed as an better version of IE is already running on the system.

Need help please...

Thanks

www.microsoft.com/ie

or

go to Add/Remove program

select uninstall IE, then select REPAIR

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Seen this happen before. Found this info straight from M$ in Q235653. Hope it helps.

To resolve this issue, unregister the Comcat.dll file by using the Regsvr32.exe utility with the /u switch as in the following example:
    regsvr32 /u C:\winnt\system32\comcat.dll

and rename the Comcat.dll file in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

After you unregister the Comcat.dll file, reinstall Internet Explorer.

For information about how to rename a file, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type renaming, and then double-click the "Renaming files" topic.

If you remove Internet Explorer before you reinstall it, be sure to rename the Comcat.dll file after removing Internet Explorer.