Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New MB Causing CD RW Drive Problem

New MB Causing CD RW Drive Problem

Been suffering through a MB transplant for a few days - upgraded a Soyo K7VTA with 1.2gig Athlon to an Epox 8RDA+ with XP 2500+ chip. This is a Windows XP Pro machine, and I did a clean install on a new Maxtor 80gig/8Meg cache drive.

It's been more traumatic than usual. The main issue right now is my LiteOn CDRW drive. This computer has two drives - the LiteOn and a Teac read-only drive. The Teac is happy. But the LiteOn is having a problem. I put in a CD and the drive light flashes for a few seconds and spits out the tray. This holds true for any CD, and doesn't vary with jumpering as slave, master, or cableselect, or if the Teac is removed. I've tried a couple different cables, of course.

I move the LiteOn into one of my other machines, and it functions perfectly normally.

Any wild ideas what I'm overlooking here?

As long as I'm babbling, the floppy drive mysteriously failed during the transplant, as confirmed by trying it in another computer. I know things break, but the timing of this one bothers me.

Art

Try disconnecting the other CD drive and test the CDR alone as master or cable select.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Didn't read me close enough, Bill - I did exactly that without success.

Have you installed the nVidia "Platform/nForce" drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Update the BIOS if you haven't:

http://web.epox.com/html/support-art...0i3ON2o1z03ZD3
    MS MCP, MCSE

ArtShapiro

Make sure DMA is enabled

install the latest 4-in-1 drivers if you have VIA chipset., if not well the newest driver for SIS or Intel

and if that still doesn't work, try the CDRW in another computer to make sure it's not broken

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

It's an nForce chipset, AG. He tested it in another machine too.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill is correct, AG.

I'd loaded the Nforce drivers from the CD that came with the board. I don't know which BIOS I have - probably the one predating that 4/10 guy to which Bill is referring. I can try updating it (if it doesn't require a floppy!) although inspection of the resolved problems for that BIOS doesn't indicate anything particularly relevant.

In the back of my mind is a concern that the BIOS's "auto" configuration settings might be somehow inappropriate for this particular IDE unit. Maybe I should drag an old PCI IDE card out of the junkbox and give 'er a try.

Art

Originally posted by ArtShapiro
    Maybe I should drag an old PCI IDE card out of the junkbox and give 'er a try.

Art
    Nah - auto should work. It did for me.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Re: New MB Causing CD RW Drive Problem

Originally posted by ArtShapiro
    I move the LiteOn into one of my other machines, and it functions perfectly normally.

Any wild ideas what I'm overlooking here?
    Ooops! i overlooked that

Alright, since you have done all the homework already on the Obvious stuff.

it's time to Tickle and Tweak the BIOS

my huntch it's on the 32bit Blocking, or those ATA vs PIO mode settings

as it stands now, try dissabling 32bit, and also leave the LiteON in PIO mode 4, don't let it use ATA-33

that should take care of the problem for ya

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

OK, I'll diddle some of those weird settings this evening when I get home from the salt mine. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I first went to LiteOn's web site to look at any support FAQs, and it looks like they're out of the CDRW business. A bit of a surprise, as their products had a stellar rep a couple years back when I purchased this guy.

Art

Wrong Lite-On:

http://www.liteonit.com

Looks like they need a corporate attorney, eh?
    MS MCP, MCSE

hmm... that kinda reminds me of the old CU-See-Me software/website

there was this Commercial version

and there is also this FREE College made version

and they had a long time argument in court

and well it's a miracle the School won

which is good.

and after a while now CU-See-Me commerical finally changed their name after like 4 years still trying to convince people to "buy" CU-See-Me comercial

LOL

now they changed their name entirely, and the turned into a cheap chat webcam forum instead

Ultimate Member
    First of all assert whether the drive is still accepting discs with the IDE cable completely disconnected. If it doesn't, you got a grounding or power issue in that new case. Or the drive is on its way out anyway (hardly a surprise with LiteOn drives, they might be nice when new, but they aren't very sturdy).

Peter, it's the same case - "just" an MB transplant.

Considering the bloody thing may have burned eight CDs in those two years, I'm not really expecting it to have failed. I try to use the other guy (the Teac) for routine reading, although once in a while I'll use the LiteOn or both together.

Then again, I didn't expect the floppy drive to fail. But it's a lot cheaper.

Art

Eureka!

Hey, guys - good advice. I changed that particular channel to IDE Mode 4, and everything looks peachy. I wonder what it was doing by default.

Unless the machine is simply being temporarily cooperative, We Are Happy.

Art
    Last edited by ArtShapiro; 04-30-2003 at 12:02 AM.