Thread: BIOS setup with Athlon 2200+ and ASUS A7V333

BIOS setup with Athlon 2200+ and ASUS A7V333

Hey guys,

Im trying to build a machine with an ASUS A7V333, an Athlon 2200+ and 512mb of Crucial PC2700. When I try to setup the CPU speed in the BIOS I run into trouble. When I select 1800Mhz, it auto configs to 13.5 for the multiplier and 133/33. When I save the settings and restart the system hangs, needs a restart and then the BIOS returns saying that I selected an incorrect CPU speed. I have tried numerous changes with memory settings but the only way I can get the BIOS to post is running it at 13.5 and 100/33...which means Im running a 1.8 CPU at like 1.35. I have built a few machines with very similiar materials and never run into a problem. Any and all ideas are welcome, and thanks...figured Id check here before wasting time with ASUS costumer service

Check your manual for a jumper on the board to switch between 100/133/166. Something is telling it to boot at 100.
    AMD Opty 165 2900 actual mhzzzzzz's
    Assrock 939dualSata

Gone
    No hes telling it to boot at 100mhz fsb cause thats the only speed it will boot at. The multi is 13.5 for sure cause I have the xp2200+. Well it was till I cranked up my fsb but anyhow. There may be a default 133 jumper as JCB said but on my asus a7n8x it has this and its only there to keep from booting at 133fsb on 100fsb chips and burning them. It will cause no harm on a 133fsb chip and the bios settings override it anyhow after you get into it that is. see a duron maybe toast by then at 133mhz fsb. Anyhow. Thats what its for. MentallyIll-that tells me that it might be heat. At 100 fsb the cpu is underclocked enuff to stay stable. At 133 and the rated speed it hangs. Are you SURE the HSF is sorrectly installed. And the T.I.M. wraper was removed before useing. Just asking-sometimes its the simple things. make sure the notch in the HSf is facing towards the STEP in the Zero Insertion Force socket. (Z.I.F.)

Do you have windows loaded yet? If so can ya tell me temps at load and idle? At 100fsb of course and castraited xp2200+ speeds. hehe.
    Last edited by $1500-P4 gamer; 04-28-2003 at 06:53 AM.

Thanks for the help so far...

You are correct, I have to set it to run at 100/33 or it wont boot. I was able to install and setup Win2K on the machine and everything seems to be running normal. I dont think its a temperature issue, I have a solid Cu heatsink and everything is attached correctly. Using Motherboard Monitor it was reading anywhere from 47-54 degrees Celcius.

As far as jumper settings go, I have it set to jumper free mode with all the dip switches set to OFF as they should be. Im at a loss here, only thing I can think of is they sent me a bad chip.

Try pumping some more core v. to it. If it runs w/ more juice it may very well be a bad chip.
    AMD Opty 165 2900 actual mhzzzzzz's
    Assrock 939dualSata

That board has SoftMenu III right? Have you made sure that you set it to Bios Defaults before you tried it at 1.8ghz (13.5 x 133)? I believe that you can change the PCI divider to 3:2:1 and if so you might be ocing the pci devices. Also did you have another chip in it before? Did it run ok? I have the AT7 Max which I belive came after that board and it says it's best to flash to the latest Bios with anything over the 2000+ Anyway might as well try some more things before you send it back, and pay the shipping.