Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intel Slashes Processor Prices

Intel Slashes Processor Prices

Before the posts come rolling in stating that this is an example of how Intel is struggling for market attention to get more market shares away from AMD I thought I'd make a pre-emptive strike.

This move shows movement towards equal market competition with AMD, It does not mean that they are struggling for business. They are also laying out the groundwork to get more mid-level workstations under their thumb, while promoting their new 800 MHz FSB.

I love price competition!

I just hope AMD stays competitive and stays alive, because I want a choice of Good Stuff at low prices, and that'll only happen so long as there is a competitive market.

this would be great....

if this happens then, the "buck per buck" issue would not be a big thing to consider, things such as stability, speed would then be the new issue and also temperature.... I wonder if all their platforms (MoBo) would also decrease....

AMD is dropping their cpu's as well. 3000+ should come down 30%.

they made the mistake of announcing the 400MHz FSB before they released it, and now anybody with an ounce of common savvy, that was going to buy the 3.06 is waiting for the new releases (who wants a 533MHz FSB 3.06GHz when they can wait a while and get an 800MHz FSB 3.00GHz)...meaning sales are down, is why the price cuts!

P.S. that 3.00GHz figure was plucked out of the air so don't quote me on it.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 04-22-2003 at 06:04 PM.

are these cuts all across the board or just the higher end chips still in production?
    Lost 10,000 miles from home and loving it!!

Cuts are across the board for both companies.

At Newegg: P4-3.06GHz/533 Sock 478 Northwood (OEM) : $390
    Variance: -$110
    Here's a full listing

Not bad. I paid $260 for my P4 2.66 (which, by the way, does 3.0 with default core voltage perfectly stable) and it's down to $220.. I'm not exactly heartbroken. Still no good reason to spend $400+ on a 3.06 (unless of course you're shooting for a 3.3GHz+ overclock, Intel's mouth is still on your c*ck over HyperThreading, or you've got money to burn and you want more bragging rights than the prick with the 2.66 @ 3.0 who paid a couple hundred less than you )

Originally posted by Necide
    Not bad. I paid $260 for my P4 2.66 (which, by the way, does 3.0 with default core voltage perfectly stable) and it's down to $220.. I'm not exactly heartbroken. Still no good reason to spend $400+ on a 3.06 (unless of course you're shooting for a 3.3GHz+ overclock, Intel's mouth is still on your c*ck over HyperThreading, or you've got money to burn and you want more bragging rights than the prick with the 2.66 @ 3.0 who paid a couple hundred less than you )
    LOL...

"I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

Ultimate Member
    Intel has now dropped its p4-based celeron prices too.

It was on VR-Zone, the 2.1GHz can now be had for $50.

Now the CPUs that won't perform well no matter how much you overclock them can be had for the same prices as 1700+s that will outdo most P4 3.06s.

Now the CPUs that won't perform well no matter how much you overclock them can be had for the same prices as 1700+s that will outdo most P4 3.06s.
    Ok, so yes, the P4-based Celerons suck, no matter what speed you get.

And yes, for the money you spend you could get a much better AMD CPU.

But now you're just being ridiculous. An Athlon XP 1700+ will NOT outperform "most" (or, how about, "any") Pentium4 3.06GHz CPUs.

I agree with Nedcide.

I agree. There is no reason for causticVapor to say that an Athlon 1700+ is faster than a Pentium 3Gig. It has to be at least 3% slower on many tasks, but of course, you could put a down payment on a Mercedes with the money you saved between the processor, the more expensive motherboard and some lovely RD-RAM for the Intel platform.

RDRAM for intels - you're beating a dead horse, they've long made amends for their original fault there. DDR is of course not just an option, but the more common one, now, regardless of CPU.