Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what do you think of this video card?

Ultimate Member
    Just go lookign around junk PC's and pullthe CPU fan offa a dead 486 or sunink, then using epoxy reisn stick it onto the HSF, thats what i did on my old old old gf2mx, worked a treat

--Jakk

update please read

what do you think now wise decision or stupid choice

Should've went with an AGP card as some ppl said... You really don't need a fan if you're not going to be OC'n it. If you feel so inclined, it wouldn't hurt anything.

OK, I'm somewhat confused, but I may have missed something.

You say you now have a GF4 MX 440 AGP , so why are you talking about having a PCI card?

Well anyway, the GF4 MX 440 card is not too bad for gaming. I have one in my backup machine at work. I play a couple of racing games on it during my breaks and it seems to be just fine.

It won't overclock much if any. And basically it's nothing more than a glorified GF2 MX card. But and it depends on what you use it for, it can be a 'good enough' card.

Your machine won't really make use of a GF4 Ti series of card, since the processor is less than one gig in speed.

So, I guess I will have to say that it's an OK choice considering the current specs of your system.

If for some reason, you actually have a PCI video card that you're talking about, then um, you should have went with an AGP card.
    This area reserved for highly intelligent observations.

both

I have both cards actually and plan on taking the geforce2 back or selling it.

I am going to use the geforce4 for unreal tournament 2003

Forget new video cards. Go down to Fry's (provided you have one) and get a k7s5a with what ever proc they have bundled it with this month. For about 90 bucks you have a system that will be a vast improvement over your current hampster wheel.

Where graphics are conserned, PCI is typically inferior to AGP. Exception being when you go back to any video chipset prior to 2001 ish.
    Just A Curb Side Profit

Ultimate Member
    I am going to use the geforce4 for unreal tournament 2003
    *deep whistle* Good luck, i can see quite a dose of jerkovision coming up on your system

--Jakk

now what?

Because I am not replacing the motherboard and processor that's going to bottlenack performance on the video card, I know. There's got to be a way around this.I am at least running minium requirements now. But because it's a celeron it's going to give me issues which I recently found out. What about in BIOS is there something I can configure to stop the bottleneck?disable L2 CACHE is one of my options.

You can disable the L2 cache if your goal is to cut 50%-80% of your current performance.

In short, there isn't anything you can do to cure the bottleneck short of upgrading your CPU and MB. That is your only choice.
    yo trick, why you so **** doofus?

Ultimate Member
    disable L2 CACHE is one of my options.
    As helpful as a hole in the head disabling that, leave that as is.

Simply as much as you try to tweak old hardware your never gonna make it great again. The gf4mx are not good gaming cards full stop, no matter what other hardware you may pair them with

--Jakk

GF4mx is an incorrectly named card.

It's cheap cooler running business-end version of the GeForce2.

Nvidia basically found a way of manufacturing GeForce 2 GPU's on much smaller die, producing less heat and using less power. So they rolled it out to the business community with reduced bandwidth, low performance memory and called it the GeForce 4 MX.

If you want a reasoanble gaming card, you'd be better off getting a GF3. Even the baby of the range, the ti200 thrashes the mx440 and mx460's (if you can find one).

When it comes to gaming, apparently the the image quality on the MX's is relatively poor as well (above and beyond the fact that you'll be lucky to run smoothly at 800x600 on most CPU's).

rgds LostBok

Talk about ****! I was too lazy to rebuild a new PC so I went ahead and bought a Dell that had a Pentium4 2.4 GHz with a GF4 MX 420 that I got for a sweet *** deal. I knew I had to upgrade the card since I game alot but I never thought it sucked so much, Like Lostbok said it can barely run 800x600 @ 30 FPS, even with the CPU I have. I wont even bother to sell it on ebay and just keep it as a backup card in case my ti4200 fails in the future which will leave me without a pc since I have no on board video. It aint worth sh*t.

To be a little more positive, it runs counterstrike halfway decent.. thats the only game so far
    Last edited by linkz; 04-09-2003 at 03:10 AM.

Ultimate Member
    To be a little more positive, it runs counterstrike halfway decent.. thats the only game so far
    Even the lowly gf2mx can do that though... plus you gotta consider the HL engine is based on Quake I/II source

--Jakk