Thread: anybody have a 'crucial' radeon 9700 pro video card?

anybody have a 'crucial' radeon 9700 pro video card?

i am thinking about buying this card. is it as fast as an ati made card?

Ultimate Member
    Although i aint got one myself, i have heard reports that the memory used on it is quite slow and not the best on the block

--Jakk

Bigjakkstaffa then what is the better one for under $350?

Ultimate Member
    The Ati made ones are usually your wisest bet, myself im none too clued up on prices as i live in the Uk and havent bothered with Ati since the days of the Rage Pro

--Jakk

Gone
    Crucial comes with lower spec mem than sapphires and thats not good at all! Get a BBA (built by ati) and save yourself heaps of headaches both driver and hardware related.

According to Crucials specs it uses 2.8ns, how much faster can a BBA card be?

I thought since the 8500, ATi has told its partners to stop messing around and stop being so cheap.

Originally posted by rochacarlos
    then what is the better one for under $350?
    About two weeks ago or so, about the time the GeForce FX was being reviewed everywhere, I picked up a BBA 9700 PRO on sale for $299 at Best Buy. At this same time, CompUSA's STANDARD price (the price tagged on the box) was also $299. I'm not sure if this has since changed.

At any rate, I would advise you to keep your eyes peeled. You can find good prices on this card. With the advent of the 9800, 9600, and 9200, I would bet you'll see some more sales on the 9700 as retailers try to move out their old stock.

BTW - The 9700 Pro really rocks. I'd owned mostly nVidia cards before this (but for an old Mobile Rage in my old laptop) and hadn't had much experience with ATI. I'm very impressed. My games look GREAT -- w/ 4x FSAA and 8x Aniso turned on, I'm still getting 35-40+ FPS with UT2K3 set at 1024x768x32xhigh to highest settings! Very nice. You're going to love this card.

-Mr. Underhill.

whargoul

According to Crucials specs it uses 2.8ns, how much faster can a BBA card be?

I thought since the 8500, ATi has told its partners to stop messing around and stop being so cheap

All the 9700 pro comes with BGA Ram...

BBA = Built By Ati, not BGA (Ball Grid Array). I'm still kind of curious, what does the memory run at on a BBA 9700 Pro?

Gone
    "BBA = Built By Ati, not BGA (Ball Grid Array). "
    No-no. Not like a chip socket style. Like a mem type. Its a four sided chip style of mem. Meaning it has solder leads on all 4 sides not two like typical mem. Its very small and made for only Video cards. Thats why crucials 9700pro has that spec mem-its the only mem they could get. Look up their specs on the 8500 and 9000 once.

Huh? I was talking about BGA in the context of video memory. Anyways, just nevermind, forget I asked any questions.

Ultimate Member
    I have two friends - one who has a Crucial Radeon 9700 Pro, and one who has an ATI 9700 Pro.

I used them both to see which was the best, and wasn't able to tell the difference running Quake and some newer games.

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm
    PC Buyer Beware!

Gone
    Originally posted by whargoul
    Huh? I was talking about BGA in the context of video memory. Anyways, just nevermind, forget I asked any questions.
    The point was whargoul that the new BGA mem is running that speed avg! Look at most topend new cards on market (ti4600 and 9700) So of course they used it! BUT on cards sporting ddr hehe-it sucks. Cause they slap the cheap 5ns **** on there half the time these days. BUT seeing how spec called for BGA mem-and that not being slow on avg. You end up with a decent card I guess. IF they follow spec in every other way which I cant say casue Ive never had one. I hav ehad sapphire though so I know the dif. between bba and 3rd party in general.