Thread: Processor Question

Processor Question

Please, forgive my ignorance, but I have a quick question regarding processors.

I've upgraded everthing in my computer at one time or another but for the processor. When I bought my MOBO and original processor, the shop offered to install the chip, so I said sure. Naturally, I learned nothing from this. Now, I'm ordering a new processor and am unsure as to what I need.

I'll be purchasing a Northwood P4 2.4GHz. The product description indicates it comes with heat sink and fan, but *NOT* Rambus memory. This has confused me. To what memory specifically is the description referring? The CPU's cache (even my meager knowledge of processors tells me this can't be the case, can it?) or to RAM? If to RAM, I wonder why the seller need specify.

At any rate, please tell me: If I purchase this retail box (complete with heat sink and fan), is that all I'm going to need to install this thing or do I need purchase Rambus as well?

Thanks.

-Mr. Underhill.

Hello Mr. Underhill,

Could you tell us the Name and model of your motherboard. This will help us determine what cpu you can use.

The Rambus issue is memory related only, you don't need it to upgrade your cpu.

Cee-W,

I have an MSI 645-Ultra MOBO w/ 450Watt PS. I intend to order a Northwood P4 2.4GHz (possibly a 2.6), Socket 478, 400Mhz bus speed. According to MSI's website, this CPU has received a compatibility rating of "OK" (as opposed to "No") with my board. In your experience, is this a good match?

Thanks.

-Mr. Underhill.

I have an MSI 645-Ultra MOBO w/ 450Watt PS. I intend to order a Northwood P4 2.4GHz (possibly a 2.6), Socket 478, 400Mhz bus speed. According to MSI's website, this CPU has received a compatibility rating of "OK" (as opposed to "No") with my board. In your experience, is this a good match?

Go for it! , It appears you will have no problems with this cpu upgrade.

Originally posted by Cee-W
    Go for it! , It appears you will have no problems with this cpu upgrade.
    Great! Thanks, Cee-W! I'll be ordering shortly.

-Mr. Underhill.

OK,, the Rambus memory they refer to is the system ram, so you don't need to worry about it, you have ram on your current Mobo.

As for the retail box, it should have everything you need as far as installation, that means 1. Processor 2. Heatsink fan combo and 3 Thermal compound or pad. It will usually include instructions as well.

As long as it's compatible with your Mobo, and you remember to set the jumpers and or bios to run with that processor, you should be good to go

Perfect. Thanks, Leprechaun_40. Good to know.

-Mr. Underhill.

Just here to help,, like the rest of Sysopt