Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sharing the TV

Sharing the TV

I have my computer connected to my TV via the video card's TV-Out which works fine. Yesterday though when I connected my VCR to the TV via the A/V cable my VCR tapes don't show. The only way I can get the video tapes to show is if I disconnect the S-video cable. Does anyone know of a workaround to have the S-video cable and A/V cable share the TV without having to disconnect one in order to use the other? Thanks.

If your TV doesn't have multiple inputs, you can always head over to Best Buy and get an A/B switch.
    MS MCP, MCSE

If the video input is the same one,, video 1 and S video use the same basic channel and they won't share. It's one or the other. Do you have other video inputs?? If so, connect there instead. Or do as bill suggests, a switch.

If the tv is sharing the same input with the av connection and s video, you might be able to just go to the settings and turn off the output from your video card. The tv might take whichever input has a signal, so if you turn off one , it may work for you.

My TV does have multiple inputs which is one S video, one A/V, and one composite. The problem however is that I can't seem to get the VCR to work without having to disconnect the S-video cable. I've tried disabling the output from the computer to the TV but I still didn't get any display from the VCR. Again, I have to physically disconnect the S-video cable which is an inconvenience. The type of video card I have is the Radeon 8500 LE. I know that TV's have different video channels that let you view input from different components such as a DVD player, VHS, etc. If anyone has more ideas or suggestions I'd love to read them. Thanks.

When you connect the S-Video line, the RCA connection is defeated.
    MS MCP, MCSE

On the back of your tv, does it say video 1, video 2 with the s-video plug above one of them. Are you changing your tv to video 1 video 2 etc.? Why not connect your pc to the vcr, and just put the vcr on channell 2 or 3 when viewing the pc.
    Last edited by cdroman; 03-17-2003 at 03:41 PM.

We may be getting somewhere here. On the back of my TV the S-video and RCA input are both under Input 1. So I guess that means I really can't really toggle with either one without having to disconnect the S video cable. Well for Input 2 there's the Composite connections. Are there any RCA to composite cables I can purchase or any special adapter I can use to plug in my RCA-cable only VCR, to the composite connections?

Composite connections are RCA. Are you talking about f-connections (like for cable tv) for input 2. If you are talking about f-connectors, probably says in and the other out. If that is the case, your best bet is to connect your pc to your VCR and your vcr to the tv.

Sorry, I meant to say component connections. That wouldn't be the same as composite/RCA would it? If not then is there a special cable I can use as I asked in my last post?

You might be able to connect your vcr to the tv via the composite input1. Then use an adapter to convert your s-video(which is a lower form of compoent video) to component video for the second connection. I'll look to see if there are any adapters out there.

Cool. Thanks, cdroman

Well, after looking around, I still think your best bet is to connect your pc to your vcr. VCR to the tv.That way you will have the option of recording from your pc if you want. Either that or use a switch. Your video card probably came with a S video to RCA converter that you can use for connecting to your VCR. If not, Radio Shack will have one.

I might just try what you suggested, cdroman. Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi cdroman, are you out there or if anyone else can answer this question. What kind of cable would I use to connect the PC to the VCR? My VCR only has RCA connections and that's all. Can I use regular RCA cable to connect the VCR to the TV's component connections? Thanks.