Thread: Suggestions for SCSI CD-ROM drive

Suggestions for SCSI CD-ROM drive

I'm trying to upgrade my SCSI CD-ROM / CD-RW setup. I'm looking at the Yamaha F1 for the writer, but I can't find much info on SCSI CD-ROM's. Does anyone have any suggestions an a good player (that still exists). It needs to have fast reliable CD-DA reading.

Ultimate Member
    If you want the best CD-DA reading, use the Yamaha writer. Mind you, this is an IDE drive with an IDE-SCSI adapter dongle. So if you have an IDE channel with nothing on, you may just as well use it natively.

You get much better CD to CD performance when you use SCSI. That is why I am sticking with the SCSI option. Are they realy just putting a IDE to SCSI dongle on the Yamaha F1.

Ultimate Member
    Well with most SCSI CD drives not supporting disconnect/reselect, the better performance is a myth I must say - as long as your IDE drives are ALL on separate channels. Direct CD-to-CD is a bad idea anyway. Too many coasters created because the reading drive hits a read problem and needs to retry, causing a buffer underrun. (And if you want quality CDRs, don't rely on "burnproof" trickery.)

Yes the Yamaha drive uses an IDE-SCSI dongle; their former real SCSI models didn't do disc/resel either, so what gives? The only ones that have a fully optimized SCSI bus implementation are Plextor's.

regards, Peter

Thanks Peter!! I think I may just go with the IDE option. I am running an IDE RAID MB and my standard UDMA controlers are sitting empty anyway.

Ultimate Member
    Then hurry now and grab a Yamaha CRW-F1 while stocks last.