Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Well MOO III is out whos picking it up?

no learning curve at all for me, i play these games all the time

but compared to all that is availble out there, is just not the best choice, and rather a step back compared to MOO2 and others in the same gategory, example PAX imperia 2, made a better attemp to bring this sort of strategy further

meanwhile the one that really made a awesome impact was HEGEMONIA

I wanted the Complexiting of MOO2 but with the HEGEMONIA interface, which is basically an upgraded version of the MOO2

so MOO3 really left a bad taste, it still has all the old stuff, and improved options, and newly added features, but for graphic wise, it's boring, for interface, is even worse, they went a step or two back in time

they are using those OLD DOS like menues from Sim Earth, and Sim Train

gosh even the old Sim Train had 1024x840 in DOS

for all those scrolling screens to fit

that's the most annoying thing in MOO 3 you can't keep the window open, cuz i takes the whole screen

Oh yeah, now in the new CUSTOM RACE, you don't get nearly half as many option you used to get in MOO2

I Think out of all the "new" stuff the only thing i liked was the upgraded council thing, with voting system and stuff for things that actually have an effect in the game vs old MOO2

and the other nice feature is the City Planning thing, that can be set to automatically build what first, then what 2nd, and then what 3rd
    for all the planets or just some, etc

and well, still the GRAPHICS for a 2003 game having such a DOS like look, really sucks

Even the SPACE battles are not as exciting as in the past

the game that go it all right besides Hegemonia, but still mostly 2D like original MOO2 and MOO3

is StarTrek StarFleet Command, or something like that

the one that is basically MOO2 but with ST theme, tha tone has a awesome upgraded 3D space fight.

but withthe same old good quick and fast access management interface as MOO2

and able to use screen larger than 800x600

gosh even old MOO2 was able to go beyond that in the Windows verison
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

It can be WAY more complex than MOO2, you just have to turn of planetary AI, also you have to do stuff the AI will do for you even if turned off (just won't override things you've done already) in terms of regional development and whatnot. I've played and I'm a vet to TBS - this one has the most depth if you know how to get it out of all of them.

As dor 800x600, I don't know why they made it that way, but they did, if graphics mean that much to you, like I said before, this won't be your game. This game has more strategy than hegemonia.

What did you expect when you said that this was an upgraded version of MOO2, it's called MOO3?

You can set galatic plans if you want in MOO3, say your colony ship goes to this world, and it falls into X category (out of many), you can have it set to build how you want it to, on the empire scale. Like I said, there is SO much of the game that's just a little tab or extra mouse click away that makes for the game to be much deeper.

Hate to **** in here.

But

Does anyone know if MOO2 is compatible with XP? Even with all the compatiblity tabs selected I still can't get it to run.

Is this a no win battle, or do I have more tweaking to do?

I don't think it can run on XP or 2000 from what I've read.

According to NT Compatible MOO2 will work on both Win2K and even NT4. So it should just be a matter of tweaking to get it to run on XP.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Ran into first bug the other night, and stupid me played through my five autosaves with it, thus my last save was 75 turns ago... the slider bars went from adjusting in 1% increments to whatever they damend well felt like (thought it was a glitch and would go away)... so that pissed me off. Has a few other bugs - though that's the only I've experienced, most of what people are reporting as bugs are just features they want to see implemented, as in some areas they have taken a step backward, hopefully a patch addresses some of these issues.

Oh, as for it being a resource hog, heard it runs great on a below 1ghz platform with 256 megs ram... think it was a 533 p3. Don't know what he meant by great, but so far with the duron experience and in the late game, it doesnt' take up as much memory as I thought it would, so you won't need a computer on loan from the NSA to run it in the end.