Thread: Toshiba Laptop won't connect to internet

Toshiba Laptop won't connect to internet

Went to use my laptop today. It is connected to Linksys Router along with a few other computers. They all are connecting to the web just fine but the laptop won't. The laptop is relatively new (Satellite) and it has Winxp home edition on it. When I type in ipconfig at the command prompt, I don't get any entry on the line that says Connection Specific DNS Suffix. I also don't get anything on the line that says "Default Gateway". This appears to be the problem but I don't know how to fix it.

The only thing that I can think of that I have downloaded to it recently is run Windows updates- it has a slew of updates on it but I don't have a clue as to what is the most recent one or if that is a possible cause. The virus protection on it is Norton Antivirus corporate edition. The latest update of the definitions on is Nov 7. It can't get anything more up to date because of the internet connection issue.

I have tried two Cat 5 cables and the computer instantly detects when the cable is disconnected. The second cable to the router made no difference. Did I somehow delete reference to the Gateway/DNS suffix? and how do I fix it. Thanks, Biglaker

Try opening Network Connections, find the Local Area Connection that pertains to the device your using such as onboard ethernet . Right click it , and select Repair. Restart.

Could be XP's firewall too, had some trouble with that here on the 1 XP machine, also, check your workgroups, see if it's set the same, it should then see the network. You might also want to go into the router's menu and go to the DHCP list, see if the laptop shows, might even delete it, see if it refinds it once you reconnect it. We had a conflict with the IP addys after a power bump once, had to delete both machines and let them redetect, worked fine since ( I also put the router on a UPS, so no more of that! )

Rocketmech,
    I did as you suggested, and as soon as I tried the repair, it came back with TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed.

I'm guessing in attempt to see other computers on my network, I must have done something to the setup under Network Connections. I see three icons - the first says Network Bridge, the second 1394 Connection, and the third Local Area Connection. I got the error message above when I right clicked on Local Area Connection and clicked on repair. I also checked properties of Local Area Connection and it comes up with a General Tab that does not look anything like my other Win2k machines display when I click similarly. It says "This adapter is part of the Network Bridge... and there is no place to add TCP/IP. There is when I click on the Network Bridge icon but I don't have any idea why there is a Network Bridge.
    Do you think I have this so hosed that I'll need to uninstall and reinstall the lan card?

Leprechaun
    I'm pretty sure I have the same workgroup specified. I believe that only affects my ability to "see" the other computers, not whether I can access the internet or not. I don't understand what you are suggesting relative to the router.
    Biglaker

All,
    Got it figured out. I just reran the wizard and it now connects to the internet. Thanks.
    Biglaker