View Poll Results: Favorite Car Stereo Brand

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony

    4 36.36%
  • Pioneer

    2 18.18%
  • JVC

    0 0%
  • Kenwood

    1 9.09%
  • Clarion

    2 18.18%
  • RockFord

    0 0%
  • Infinity

    0 0%
  • MTX Audio

    0 0%
  • Alpine

    0 0%
  • Other (pleasse Specify, I Know I Missed Alot Of Brands)

    2 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Car Audio

  1. #1
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387

    Car Audio

    What kinda Car Stereo System Are you Runnin.. And who is your favorite brand?

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387
    I'm Runnin
    Sony Xplod CDX-L600X 52Wx4
    Sony Xplod 1200watt Amp
    2x Sony Xplod 10' 700watt Subs
    2x Sony Xplod 200watt 2-way 6x9
    2x Jensen 75watt 2-way 4' (I would have had 4' Sony's but couldn't find any 4')

    Anyone who says Sony sucks, doesn't know what their talkin about....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    912
    You didn't specify favorite what in car audio so just provided short list.

    Favorite for a good SQ setup
    Head Units: Pioneer, Sony, Eclipse, Clarion
    Amps: SoundStream, McIntosh, RF, etc etc.
    Subs: Image Dynamics, some others too
    Speakers: Separates either Infinity, Alpine, MB Quart
    Boxes: custom built of course always sealed
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387
    Originally posted by BadBadNeil

    Speakers: Separates either Infinity, Alpine, MB Quart
    I'm not big on Infinity, cause they only excel in bass, when you have subs, there is no need for more bass (unless bass is all you want), and my friend has a pair of 4 1/2 infinity's and I personally wasn't to impressed with them, very poor sound clarity. Infinity's aren't worht their high price ether.... I'd go for Rockford speakers before Infinity though, but RockFords always seem to require a very deep mounting depth which alot of people don't have if their are using their stock speaker mounts....

  5. #5
    Ultimate Member Someone Stupid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,133
    I'm running with:

    Clarion Proaudio Deck
    Alpine Equalizer (I'm too lazy to look up the name - but there is another thread on car audio in this forum - search it and you'll find quite a few people's systems, mine included) - looking at getting the hidden EQ that Clarion has for the ProAudio series.
    Clarion Pro Audio Changer
    Satelite Radio
    1 Kicker 1000 watt amp
    1 Kicker 800 watt amp
    3 Boston Pro Series 12 inch subs, 2 ohm coils (sealed)
    2 3 piece Boston Pro series components, 3 ohms (6.5, 4, 1)
    2 2 piece Boston Pro series components, 3 ohms (6.5, 1)

    -----

    I don't like Infinity tweeters, they have a tendency of blowing at high wattages that other tweeters in the same price range don't have. They sound good, just I know of several people who've blown Kappa tweeters and under their max rated RMS.

    I dislike Sony as well, the only thing they ever made that was good was their ES series of recievers, but they've screwed them up as well (well all but the 2000 dollar reference model). Their speakers are VERY inefficient and require a helluva lot of wattage to be pushed to get any good SPL's out of them compared to practically any other brand. Their subs are just as bad in this department as well, and have a muddy imprecise sound, even in a sealed setup. They don't handle high wattages, yet they need t be able to handle them due to their inefficientcy. The fact that you can match Jensen speakers to the Sony system speaks "wonders" of their sound quality. I rank Sony in the same category as Bose, only Sony can at least produce the full sound spectrum and doesn't sound completely like trash. But that is just my opinion. Oh, and that 700 watts isn't RMS, that's max power. There is a HUGE difference there.

    Oh, and I used to do Db drag racing and SQ competition, and have constructed over a dozen high end setups for others, a couple of which actually won in more than just local competitions (as always, the more you have to spend, the better your chances if you know what your doing). Also comparing a 4 inch speaker for sound quality is stupid, 4 inch speakers aren't meant for sound quality at all, companies just make them to fill that gap in the market in all honesty.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 02-02-2003 at 03:32 PM.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387
    Originally posted by Someone Stupid

    1 Kicker 1000 watt amp
    1 Kicker 800 watt amp


    Man, my truck has trouble powerin my 1200watt amp...
    I learned a few days ago that I cannot have my highbeems on, my heater on full, and my Stereo over 1/4 volume, deck shuts down truck pretty much stalls, its all fine untill I slow down t second gear, then... Silence.... If I don't have my Heater on full, I'm fine, but my lights dim with the poundin...

  7. #7
    Ultimate Member Someone Stupid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,133
    I have 2 225 amp alternators, that may be why I can power what I power. I pull about 160 or so of those amps just from my amplifiers. I'm surprised you didn't blow your sub with that amp you have, it's 350 RMS IIRC, and that amp puts out 1200 RMS you said - if it's running mono then I wouldn't advise turning the sound up all the way else you know what it sounds like to melt a voice coil to the magnet (I've done it), or have the surround tear off (done that as well).

    Oh, as for my comments on Sony, it's all a matter of taste. If you like them, more power to you - just they aren't what I'd recommend to someone. :

    Rockford Fosgates haven't impressed me much at all, even their components. They sound good (the top tiered one), but not good for that price, if they'd dropped the price a few hundred I could see them being viable, but not as they currently are.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 02-02-2003 at 03:45 PM.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387
    Originally posted by Someone Stupid

    -----



    I dislike Sony as well, the only thing they ever made that was good was their ES series of recievers, but they've screwed them up as well (well all but the 2000 dollar reference model). Their speakers are VERY inefficient and require a helluva lot of wattage to be pushed to get any good SPL's out of them compared to practically any other brand. Their subs are just as bad in this department as well, and have a muddy imprecise sound, even in a sealed setup. They don't handle high wattages, yet they need t be able to handle them due to their inefficientcy. The fact that you can match Jensen speakers to the Sony system speaks "wonders" of their sound quality. I rank Sony in the same category as Bose, only Sony can at least produce the full sound spectrum and doesn't sound completely like trash. But that is just my opinion. Oh, and that 700 watts isn't RMS, that's max power. There is a HUGE difference there.
    I know that 700watt isn't the RMS.... Duh.... It's only 250watt RMS
    My system sounds great, I've compared it to my friends lousey Thump!+Jensen system, way better (don't take much to beat Thump!)
    And my anothers Infinity+Clarion System

    Alot of people who told me not to buy Sony, changed their perspective on Sony after hearin my system. Alot of peopple who heard them where gonna get RockFord, said **** RockFord, too expensive for what I'd get, i'm goin to get sony...

    Sony doesn't get the credit it deserves for its quality and price.
    I find the subs to have clear crisp base, that pound hard.

    I'll admit I wasn't to impressed with the 6x9's
    But, taste of sound quality differs per person, but you must admit Sony's Amps are good.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Strawbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,706
    Kenwood and Kenwood! my wife works there and I get a good discount on anything HiFi related, house or car. tomorrow (Monday) they are having a staff sale and I'm getting a 1000 home stereo for 150. Yup! I Love Kenwood.

    BTW: SONY car hifi sucks, they should stick to monitors.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387
    Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    I have 2 225 amp alternators, that may be why I can power what I power. I pull about 160 or so of those amps just from my amplifiers. I'm surprised you didn't blow your sub with that amp you have, it's 350 RMS IIRC, and that amp puts out 1200 RMS you said - if it's running mono then I wouldn't advise turning the sound up all the way else you know what it sounds like to melt a voice coil to the magnet (I've done it), or have the surround tear off (done that as well).

    Oh, as for my comments on Sony, it's all a matter of taste. If you like them, more power to you - just they aren't what I'd recommend to someone.

    Rockford Fosgates haven't impressed me much at all, even their components. They sound good (the top tiered one), but not good for that price, if they'd dropped the price a few hundred I could see them being viable, but not as they currently are.
    I know the Amp is too much for the Subs, its got a nifty little power level switch on it... I have it at half, and it's still a little much, and bass level at half, and if I turn loudness or bass up on, my deck it pounds those subs even harder, so I have the bass at half, and loudness off,,,,
    But I'm only gonna keep my subs till my warranty is up.. I have 2year warrnaty, that supposedly cover me blowing them, and they replace them with the current years newr model free of charge.. $10 ontop of each sub for the warranty... I'll eventually test that warranty when I blow one of my subs...

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member Someone Stupid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,133
    We might have crossposted as I edited my comments.

    Sony's amps are still good, but they are rated to their power. My kicker is listed at 1000 RMS but pushes around 1300 RMS (I have dual 1000 watt capcitators (As that's what they really are) by lightning audio, that helps with bass.

    What kind of truck do you have?

    Any setup can sound good, and even an expesive setup can sound HORRIBLE - it's all in how you set it up. I don't like clarion's speakers, nor do I like Inifinity's due to the tweeter issue and the fact that Infinity's only sound good on the 6.5 inch models - even then, if I'm paying that much, I'm gonna go with someone else.

    I've heard some really bad 2 to 5 thousand dollar systems, some for SPL's that had 2 thousand watts and probably could be outran by a good 300 watt sub setup. It's all in the car itself as to what components you choose, then how you lay them out. If either is done wrong, it's gonna sound bad. Having tweeters bouncing highs off the rear deck at the glass is the most common thing I see. On my rear deck speakers I have them on angled mounts at -6db pointing to the center of the car. Much less unnecessary brightness.

    Sony still has viable amps, but if they do what they did to their ES recievers to their top end amps, then Sony is gonna live just by it's name brand alone.

    I had that type of warranty too. They asked me the first time (seperated surround) what amp I had, then they were like, well, we'll be seeing him again, I could see it in the guys eyes - then the second time I melted dual voice coils through the rubber bumper to the magnet. That was on a totally different system. My Boston's can take whatever I through at them and they don't even hit the bottom of the basket and the rubber backers. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 02-02-2003 at 03:59 PM.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387
    Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    We might have crossposted as I edited my comments.

    Sony's amps are still good, but they are rated to their power. My kicker is listed at 1000 RMS but pushes around 1300 RMS (I have dual 1000 watt capcitators (As that's what they really are) by lightning audio, that helps with bass.

    What kind of truck do you have?

    Any setup can sound good, and even an expesive setup can sound HORRIBLE - it's all in how you set it up. I don't like clarion's speakers, nor do I like Inifinity's due to the tweeter issue and the fact that Infinity's only sound good on the 6.5 inch models - even then, if I'm paying that much, I'm gonna go with someone else.

    I've heard some really bad 2 to 5 thousand dollar systems, some for SPL's that had 2 thousand watts and probably could be outran by a good 300 watt sub setup. It's all in the car itself as to what components you choose, then how you lay them out. If either is done wrong, it's gonna sound bad. Having tweeters bouncing highs off the rear deck at the glass is the most common thing I see. On my rear deck speakers I have them on angled mounts at -6db pointing to the center of the car. Much less unnecessary brightness.

    Sony still has viable amps, but if they do what they did to their ES recievers to their top end amps, then Sony is gonna live just by it's name brand alone.


    I'm drivin a Nissan 1/4 ton truck 4x4 KingCab 1986
    Irritating thisg bout my truck is the rattles that come outta my truck when I have my subs goin, I got rid of what I heard for rattles, then new ones appear... So I think I'm gonna get a big tube of foamy glue and fill every little crack and hole in my truck till nothin moves... lol... j/k, sorta
    My truck runs great though, I give it points for that. The colder it is, the easier it starts, but it usually starts in one turn.


    I have my subs in sealed wedge boxes, facing up angled towards the front, sitting on my rear kick seats.


    O ya my amp is Mono, so ya it puttin out more power.....
    Last edited by KraZy_SkitZy; 02-02-2003 at 04:28 PM.

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member Someone Stupid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,133
    My friend had a Little 88? Toyata. I'm guessing that box was a TIGHT fit? I had hell trying to make a box to fit his 10 inch infinity subs in there as the seat wouldn't move.

    My friend had Sony speakers (for his highs and mids) in that truck and it sounded decent (I've heard way better and way worse), but for the price it was good. The speakers just sounded fairly well in that truck (compared to in a car I heard the same year of speakers - it was BAD). Was a tad bright and he thought so as well so I made a 3 db dropper before it went to the tweeter and that cleared it up and they sounded what I'd say a solid good for their price.

    You need a new alternator, though I doubt you'll be able to find one that can push what you need for a 4 cylinder, especially for that truck. I have a Mustang and it took me awhile to find an alternator capable of that, and I still had to get a dual assembly made to hold two of them.

  14. #14
    Ultimate Member Someone Stupid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,133
    Ah, you had a back seat, he had just the front bench and about a 6 inches (being generous) of space at the base and about 2 inches where the box ended. It was hell to make, and even worse to get in there.

    Get lots of Dynamat. I have tons in my car, along with the foam. It sounds like a luxury car with the radio off. Shut the door and silence.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member KraZy_SkitZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ahhh! Where Am I!?
    Posts
    1,387
    Originally posted by Someone Stupid


    You need a new alternator, though I doubt you'll be able to find one that can push what you need for a 4 cylinder, especially for that truck. I have a Mustang and it took me awhile to find an alternator capable of that, and I still had to get a dual assembly made to hold two of them.
    Not gonna bother, I'm thinkin after this summer, maybe in the Fall gettin a new (used) vehicle....

    I'll keep the Deck i have and My Amp and maybe my 6x9's , and through my old Sony XR-C210 back in it.

    It was hard to squeez my 6x9's in my truck, the subs where easy. I have my 6x9's in sealed boxes underneath my kickseats, peaking outter side of my front bucket seats.. Havin those 6x9 don't add much rear sound just more or less Filler sound...

    If you wanna know what **** is, my old 500watt Thump! amp, **** it was, sold it for $70 cnd.
    My old deck kicked ***, it even supported a cd changer, and has a removable faceplate, but it'll go back in my truck when I get a different vehicle..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •