Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Space Shuttle Missing!!!

man
    saw it on tv too
    thats bad
    hope it was q quick death for them well had to be, they were so high
    challenger crashed i saw of cours but not LIVE 1986 i wasnt even born, took 1 more year

man, it was horrible watching the challenger break in mid air

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Not half as horrible as it must of been having it sizzle your ****
    for a while inside

it's so sad

and you know the worse thing is?
    those that are left in the ISS are gonna be stuck there for a long long while

and their food supply is only good until June

The death of 7 human beings is bad enough but to think of the combined expertise and training of these 7 individuals is a staggering loss. I have faith in the technology of the space shuttle (actually visited the shuttle at Moffit Field) but it may benefit the program to have some means of escape designed into the system. If it takes a few more years to perfect, so be it.
    14 highly trained experts is impossible to ever replace. A rush into space is not a necessity.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Maybe this is what went wrong.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2709875.stm
    My guess would be that M$ killed them for using Linux.

Banned
    rest in peace.........

cnn had an actual webpage which stated that the space shuttle landed safely etc etc, but they took it down today at around 12pm realising it was there............

how come things keep falling off the starter rockets hitting the space shuttle wing (thats what happened and COULD be the cause of the accident)

GJ
    It was large chunks of ice that forms on the nose that dislodges and does backwards into the craft. A 100 kilo chunk of ice is like a large stone hitting the fragile tiles.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

AG: They do have a Soyuz Pod which can be used as an escape (which is actually it's purpose) on board the station. Russia can still bring people up with the Soyuz as the docking collar the shuttle uses will work with the Soyuz - just many question Russia's reliability given their finacial situation. The most common theory is that the station will be mothballed for several years (as that is how long the investigation will most likely take to complete unless something GLARING turns up). Which would also mean the shuttle fleet would be grounded then as well. If the Soyuz for some reason would fail to detach, we still have a fleet of three now - one can go up in an emergency - just NASA wouldn't want to send one up unless they have to.

Maybe this will speed up spending on a new reuseable vehicle that they've been cutting funding for each year.

BTW. The last time they made the glue which holds the ceramic tiles on was over 15 years ago at Union Carbide. It's a mixture of several compounds that has to be kept seperate with zero humidity or it will break down (individually, not when mixed). Makes you feel safe knowing your glue is 15 years old. I found that out as my dad was on that unit, even the storage tanks had sheds they were in, and they only made the unit to run for three months, then they shut it down and dissambled it. Rather expensive process there.

As for the escape pod, at that velocity it's practically impossible. Unless you redesign the entire crew compartment section and give them a 360 bubble of ceramic tiles (no windows - big problem there). At that reentry speed any form of escape is useless (Mach 18), even at slower speeds it would still be virtually impossible (really impossible with our current technologies). The shuttle is designed now for a challenger like disaster. Meaning the crew compartment on a bad launch wouldn't just seperate and keep the humans alive until it impacted the ground, but has a parachute system now (the 7 aboard the challenger are thought to have lived until the crew compartment hit the ground). These 7 souls died instantly.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 02-01-2003 at 08:30 PM.

Latest report here is; NASA saying there was a problem in the left wing area.

they should have let them do a space walk to check for damage.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by AllGamer
    it's so sad

and you know the worse thing is?
    those that are left in the ISS are gonna be stuck there for a long long while

and their food supply is only good until June
    I doubt that NASA or the government is going to let them just starve to death.

Originally posted by RamonGTP

I doubt that NASA or the government is going to let them just starve to death.
    I certainly hope not..

Originally posted by killer_teddy
    Maybe this is what went wrong.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2709875.stm
    My guess would be that M$ killed them for using Linux.
    Its all in the name...
    Need
    Another
    Seven
    Astronauts

Originally posted by danee

Its all in the name...
    Need
    Another
    Seven
    Astronauts

**** NASA!! They new there was a problem with the shuttle!!

When it took off they new that some tiles and insulation had fallen off, but did they do anything??? NNNNOOOOOO!!!!