Thread: How 2 make boot disk w/cd support for Ghost 2002?

How 2 make boot disk w/cd support for Ghost 2002?

I'm trying to use my Norton Ghost 2002 program that came bundled with my Soyo mobo to back up my HD. Since there are no instructions, and only one file called Ghost.exe on the disk, I am a little confused.

The Symantec website instructions say to use "Ghost Boot Wizard" to create a bootable disk for restoring a Ghost image. My problem stems from the fact that the "Ghost Boot Wizard" is not included in my version of Ghost, just the DOS executable.

When creating an image, ghost asks if I want to copy a bootable floppy to the CD-RW containing the image. Does anyone that has experience with Ghost know what kind of files this bootable floppy should contain?

Can I just format a floppy with Win98 system files on it? Do I need mcsdex.exe on this disk for cd-rom support? Should Symantec include some type of instructions so that someone like myself who has built PCs and has an IT degree can actually figure out this program?

BTW, I am using Win2000 Pro on this system if it matters.

Create your boot disk and then make your image in DOS to a partition or another disk. Boot back into Windows and open the image in Ghost Explorer. Split (span) the image and burn to CD.

You can't create the DOS disk without installing Ghost. Have you checked for the program in Windows?
    MS MCP, MCSE

BiPolarBill wrote:
    Create your boot disk and then make your image in DOS to a partition or another disk. Boot back into Windows and open the image in Ghost Explorer. Split (span) the image and burn to CD.

You can't create the DOS disk without installing Ghost. Have you checked for the program in Windows?
    I should have been more clear in my first post. The Ghost 2002 version that I received does not come with Ghost Explorer or Ghost Boot Wizard, and cannot be installed in Windows. It only comes with a DOS executable file called Ghost.exe.

The Symantec website offers no instructions or support for this version of Ghost 2002. Also, neither Soyo nor Symantec included any documentation with the bundled version I received.

I believe I'm supposed to boot into DOS using a standard Win98 boot floppy that also includes the Ghost.exe file, but can't contain cd-rom support. When I execute Ghost.exe it gives me the choice to write spanned images directly to a CD-RW drive. But it requires that I insert a different boot disk with cd-rom support, so that the files can be copied with the image onto the CD-RW media thus making the CD-RW bootable.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00110208385725 says:

To save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW drive, Ghost requires one or two floppy disks, depending on the Ghost version and on whether you want to make the CD-R/RW disk bootable.

Creating the image file
    The first floppy disk is a bootable floppy that has the Ghost files on it. Use this disk to start the computer when you want to save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW drive. Here are some ways to create such a disk. Note that in each case, the floppy disk does not load CD-R/RW driver files . . .

Later it says:

Making the CD disc bootable
    When you use Norton Ghost 2003 to save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW disk, Ghost provides an option to make the disk bootable. If you check the option, Ghost automatically adds the necessary files to the CD disc.

In Norton Ghost 2002 and earlier and in Symantec Ghost 7.5 and earlier, use the "CD-ROM Boot Disk" to provide CD drivers for making the CD disc bootable. When you use Ghost to save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW disk, Ghost asks whether you want to make the disk bootable. If you answer Yes, Ghost prompts for the location of the CD-R/RW driver files, because these files are not included by default on the bootable floppy disk that you started the computer with. To provide Ghost with the appropriate CD-R/RW driver files, insert a "CD-ROM Boot Disk" that you created in Ghost Boot Wizard.

What I need to know is what files to put on the 2nd bootable floppy that is copied to the CD-RW. I need the minimum files that will make it bootable with cd-rom support.
    Last edited by onepercent; 01-18-2003 at 05:27 AM.

The files that you need are not standard to Windows. You need the program.

Who gave you the DOS disk? You can't get it legitimately without the CD.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ermm.. i might be wrong here. but can't u just use a windows boot cd. Then select the dos box before entering windows. Then run ghost.exe in dos.

I allways do that..

I do the same thing, just boot with a Win98 boot disk with CDROM support, then run the Ghost executable. (ghostpe.exe in my case). Works fine.
    Where's the any key?
    3.04 P4 Asus P4C800E 1GB PC3200 XP Pro ATI 9500 Pro
    18GB & 37GB IBM SCSI
    LG 52X24X52 & LG 52X CDROM 24X DVD SB Audigy
    n/w with 2.4 P4 XPPro,
    1.8 XPHome, 1.3 XPPro

Originally posted by Nemesis1s
    Ermm.. i might be wrong here. but can't u just use a windows boot cd. Then select the dos box before entering windows. Then run ghost.exe in dos.
    Are you talking about the standard Win9x startup menu? Where is a CD involved in that process? Please try not to confuse the issue with mistakes.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by Randaroo
    I do the same thing, just boot with a Win98 boot disk with CDROM support, then run the Ghost executable. (ghostpe.exe in my case). Works fine.
    You can actually burn your image directly to CD from DOS? I thought that this didn't always work.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Yes, I burn the image and I have restored the image to my HDD on several occasions without a hitch.
    Where's the any key?
    3.04 P4 Asus P4C800E 1GB PC3200 XP Pro ATI 9500 Pro
    18GB & 37GB IBM SCSI
    LG 52X24X52 & LG 52X CDROM 24X DVD SB Audigy
    n/w with 2.4 P4 XPPro,
    1.8 XPHome, 1.3 XPPro