Thread: Firmware upgrades for XP (do they exist?)

Hybrid View

Firmware upgrades for XP (do they exist?)

More specifically, I'm looking for upgrades for a CDRW-4224 (by creative) and an NEC NR-7700a. I've searched high and low and can't find any XP/2000 compatible upgrades for either of these drives. And the only reason I want to do this is so that I can get overburning to function on either of the drives (yeah the creative one is slower, but if it could do overburning, which the package specs say it can do, it'd be worth it). As it is, neither drive will overburn. Fortunately it doesn't waste a CD in order to find this out as the process usually stops before any burning occurs. This is using nero 5.5.7.4, by the way. Anyway, if worse comes to worst, I'll go out and get a newer, more compatible CD-RW, but if that can be avoided, I'd like to do so. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

D

Firmwares are not OS-specific.
    Try looking for latest firmware for Creative here and for NEC here.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

No Offence intended, but are you sure the Overburn option is enabled in Nero preferences?

Good point
    Also, try the latest 5.5.10 version. Its overburning support got somewhat better, at least for my 12x TEAC CD-W512EB ...
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

thanks for the replies.

I already tried running a couple different firmware upgrades for the creative drive, and for some reason it wouldn't even detect the CD-RW in the firmware software.

As for nero, that's a good idea. I'll see if I can't find that version. But yeah, I do have the option enabled. Not only that, but I took a tip from another site and even edited the system registry to enable overburning. According to ... well figures, I can't find the link now, but anyway, there was mention that the NEC is OEM and doesn't support overburning despite nero's detection of it. I'll check out that firmware site and run a few more searches and tests. Thanks again for the replies.

D

P.S. No offence taken. I do understand that you can't gauge the idiocy of the average question asker simply based on their question for the most part (reminds me of the "is it plugged in" question that is asked all too often).

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by ND
    Firmwares are not OS-specific.
    Try looking for latest firmware for Creative here and for NEC here.
    The firmware of course isn't, but the firmware uploading software is. While many makers still require you to boot to DOS or at least be in a DOS-ish Windows, Yamaha's CD burners have update tools that work in NT/2K/XP too.

Originally posted by ND

Also, try the latest 5.5.10 version. Its overburning support got somewhat better, at least for my 12x TEAC CD-W512EB ...
    I'm so glad to hear that ND. I have the exact same drive as you.

Originally posted by Peter Missel

The firmware of course isn't, but the firmware uploading software is. While many makers still require you to boot to DOS or at least be in a DOS-ish Windows, Yamaha's CD burners have update tools that work in NT/2K/XP too.
    That's another way to put it

Liteon's firmware works in Windows, also.
    Where's the any key?
    3.04 P4 Asus P4C800E 1GB PC3200 XP Pro ATI 9500 Pro
    18GB & 37GB IBM SCSI
    LG 52X24X52 & LG 52X CDROM 24X DVD SB Audigy
    n/w with 2.4 P4 XPPro,
    1.8 XPHome, 1.3 XPPro

IMO it seems to be indefensible for the manufacturers of hardware that can only be fully utilised in Windows (or more accurately, a GUI), to make updates that require the loading of an antique Operating System.

Since Windows and other O/S' are capable of interacting with the BIOS directly, I can't understand the need for a DOS interpreter.

Last edited by Strawbs; 01-19-2003 at 09:20 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Problem is that you need raw, uninterrupted access to the device you're trying to update, be capable to send vendor specific commands et al. Not easy to do when you're sitting on top of an OS that wants you to go through its hardware abstraction layers and generic device drivers.

An increasingly popular workaround is the method of having special disc images that make the drive update itself when inserted - just like on living room DVD players for example.

Originally posted by Peter Missel
    An increasingly popular workaround is the method of having special disc images that make the drive update itself when inserted - just like on living room DVD players for example.
    Can't say I've read about these "Disc Images" anywhere! But they would seem to be a logical solution only if the reason for wanting the update in the first place is not because of burner failure, in which case you may not be capable of burning the Image to disc!

I suppose it's another reason the Floppy Disk is still alive and kicking! (i-mac )

Thanks for the info Peter!