Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Soyo Dragon board???

Problem with Soyo Dragon board???

I recently put together a computer, using the Soyo Dragon KT400 Ultra + Plantinum board. When I boot the computer on, all I get is a blank screen and a short beep followed by a long beep. Unfortunately, Soyo's site did not indicate what this error beep meant. However, they did recommend a BIOS update -- kinda hard when I can even get to the BIOS . And they also mentioned certain brands of memory being supported -- it was unclear whether the memory supported was exclusive or just recommended. However, my memory brand, Centron, was not on the list.

Any ideas? Help!

Thanks.

Common problems are:

No video and a siren-like alarm - heat emergency or unplugged CPU fan.

No video and no beeps - motherboard, CPU or video card not seated. Video is most common.

No video w/beeps - damaged/incompatible memory or video card.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Well we tried another AGP video card and that didn't work either. I am confused about one thing - the power plug slot next the the AGP slot, when do you use that? Is that for 8x video cards? I got no video with beeps, so maybe the memory? Is there such thing as a brand of memory that is not compatible? Because we got PC 2700 memory, and the manual says it is compatible, but the site did not list Centron on their memory list.

Compatible brand or not, it may be just plain bad memory. I've never heard of it either. You're crazy to buy memory of a brand you've never heard of at any rate. There are only a few dead-reliable brands:

Crucial
    Kingston
    Viking
    Corsair
    Mushkin
    Samsung
    Geil
    Siemens

I don't trust any others.
    MS MCP, MCSE

whats that power slot next to the AGP slot for?

Describe it please.

1. Small with 3-pins? Fan or power supply monitor connection.

2. 4 pins super video card connector - though I doubt it.

3. Short brown slot? CNR or AMR port for modems and such.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I run the same board with a 2200 Rev A and 512 of GeIL Ultra. I also have a Visiontek TI 4600 and I use the power connector next to the agp slot. At first I didn't use the plug and had the same results. Once I hooked some power to it, I booted fine.

Tripper
    Love, Peace and Hair Grease

Oh - that's a connector for the P2 power from an AMD-approved power supply. If you don't have one of those, you should upgrade your PSU.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Yeah, according to the Soyo manual, the P2 connector is for AGP Pro video cards, which I assume i have since I am using a Saphire Radeon 9700 Pro card. So I have tried powering the computer with and without a power connector plugged into the slot, with no luck. All it seems to use is a standard power cable to power P2 (the same kind of power cable used on IDE devices such as hard drives or CD-ROM). Maybe I'm using the wrong power cable? There is also an ADDITIONAL power cable that plugs onto the card itself -- this one uses the small power cable that plugs into floppy drives. Unfortuantely the video card did not come with a manual, so i'm confused.

Yah - that's for a floppy connector alright. You can convert standard 4-pin Molex to floppy if you like.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I dealt with Centron memory before, quite awhile back. Maybe 1 out of ten modules (we ordered 50 and 4 or 5 were either completely bad, or some of the memory wasn't recognized) was bad so we RMA'd the whole lot back - it was stuff for cheap systems people wanted, so we just went with Nanya and everything was fine then. Not top of the line stuff, but it wasn't the garbage that Centron was pushing and was at least reliable.

I believe you would need to put power to both the motherboard connector(which is just a standard molex so you are correct there) and also to the video card.

Also, I would remove all other cards and disable onboard devices like sound, lan and if you aren't using it, RAID. Not sure if you played with the bios but I find my machine will not boot if you load the "bios safe" settings. Not sure whats goin on there but this is my first Soyo so I'm learning. On the other hand, the optimized settings are supposed to resort back to the last known, working configuration so that may be an option.

Recently, I have had an issue where my pc would beep once and never send a signal to the monitor. It was hit or miss but I found that if I hit the delete key as soon as it beeped, I could still get into the bios.

Hope I've helped in some way!

Tripper
    Love, Peace and Hair Grease

Where can I get more info on this P2 connector and additional power connector on the AGP Card? The soyo manual sucks for info and the video card didn't even come with a manual.

If you card doesn't have a connector, don't sweat it. Once you get a card that does, you'll know what to do.
    MS MCP, MCSE

ok so since my video card does have a place to plug a floppy drive style power cable into, i should use and plug the cable in? Basically, since it has the receptacle, use it?