Thread: Windows XP system restore

Windows XP system restore

Windows XP Home Ed.

I have done successful system restore before, but now I am having trouble. My first attempt came back, "Could not restore system, new hardware has been installled replace and retry" ( or something to that accord.

I replaced the video card with the original card and did another restore. This time I did not get a reason for the incomplete restore just that it did not happen. "Restoration Incomplete, No changes were made. "

I have tried half a dozen restoration points and all are coming back "Incomplete". What is preventing a successful restoration from taking place?

rounder

PS I had installed All-in-Wonder 7500 and the drivers. No good. Same problems I had before. I did a Program remove in Windows and still have a "milllion" ATI files on my hard drive. Thought a restore would eliminate these.

MS MCP, MCSE

OK...THE HAMMER IT IS! And I will have NO regrets! The only question is, another "Over Install", as I have recently done one of these, or an fdisk and reformat? I prefer this as it eliminates all BS. That is a GOOD thing!

I only wonder what hassles I may encounter with MS on another install and reactivation (less than one month).

I would like to save all music files and a few others, any advice here?

rounder

PS BPB, You are always there Thanks

This is a repair, rounder. All files and preferences remain. Setup removes and refreshes Windows system files only and does a quick Plug and Play refresh too.

Reactivation is not in the cards.
    MS MCP, MCSE

What I hope to accomplish here is to rid my system of all unecessary files. In this case all ATI files. I have removed ATI, but files remain and I cannot delete them. Maybe I shouldn't be concerned with them, but I hate trash files and forsee problems associated with the whole ATI install and removal.

I am also having problems with Norton Live Update. Ii says my registraion files were not installed. My subscrition is up-to-date, though. So I am not getting any updates for my anti-virus. Of course, this is another problem.

Uninstall and reinstall Norton.

Before you do, paste the error message into Google and search. Try Advanced search with the domain to look in set to symantec.com.
    MS MCP, MCSE

man... you have so much thing you are complaining about your system, and being so picky

then i believe the best course of action is to install the OS brand new

then install only what you need

now that's neat

i do that every month of so now

is soooo easy

AllGamer, You "install brand new", meaning reformat your hard drive and start from scratch? "Every month or so"? I suppose it would get to be easy with a "little" practice like that! :P

What is the best way to save all my music files and any thing else I want to keep, which isn't that much? Save it all to my D:\ ?
    Last edited by rounder; 01-06-2003 at 05:40 PM.

i have my HDD with Multiple partitions

so all MY important and "not so" important stuff gets stored on those

that way whenever i feel like i need a Fresh install

i just format and go again

Oh yeah i always keeps another partition with all the latest patches and drivers and other files i need all handy

so usually a full brand new format re-install including all my most used programs only takes me top 2 or 3 hours

2 if i'm not watching TV or playing games on the other computer

LOL

programs installs and optimization are fast

only the Win OS install takes long

stupid OS always takes close to an hour regardless

but every other software and game etc, are very fast installing

and yes is true

the more you do it

the fastest and easiest it's for you

Bill, this is what was returned after a Google search. I did the advance and designated "Symantec.com" under domain. :

Your search for: "Cannot read subscription data. Please reinstall Norton antivirus", did not match any documents.

I plan to format my C:, which is 30 Gig, and leave my D: as is, 15 Gig. I want to create additional Logical drives, one solely for the OS, and one other. I believe you told me, long ago, how you had yours set up and how much space you allowed for your OS. Allgamer also had some good input. Would you tell me, once again, of the OS drive size?

I would create:

C: FAT32 5GB for OS
    D: NTFS 25GB applications

Immediately after installing Windows, change drive letters in Disk Management so that the 2nd partition is the D drive. You'll have to move the 2nd drive (D after setup) up to like M and then move it back to E.
    MS MCP, MCSE

AllGamer, have you considered creating a backup of your OS and a handful of your most important programs right after a fresh instal and saving it to one of your other partitions/drives?