View Poll Results: Will you buy the $400-$500 Nvidia card ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 9.09%
  • No

30 90.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OMG Read if your a Video card Freak like me (Just got issue about nVidia Fx)

I would have to say that the recent benchmarks don't put the GfFX in a good light. It has a full 50% clock speed advantage and only a 20% bandwidth handicap, and even without the most memory intensive benchmarks it wasn't able to lay the smack down on ATI.

It just won't be enough better to make the undoubted price difference worth it.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

well, i hope geforce doesnt go the way that voodoo did, i used to have the voodoo 3 16mb, and i must say, it pulled this computer around until our games were just too much for the comptuer and we went to the radeon all-in-wonder 8500 128mb video card, along with a p3 1gig processor, from a p2 .45 gig processor (yes, that .45 really shot up our computer!lol!)

our other computer basically has the same thing this half-new, and enhanced computer had... the p2 450, and a 16mb vid card made by diamond... and is diamond still in business? anyways, I WANT our other computer to go to a radeon 9000 128mb, along with like say, a p4, but that's unlikely, and we'll have to go to a p3 still...

we, i believe, skip generations too, and then come back to them a few years later, unlike you

kevin

Diamond still exists. Their problems are due to poor management rather than bad products.

I can't believe that everyone in this thread is burying nVidia already. Geez - they still own the market! Wake up!

I hope you all start selling off your GeForces and drive the prices down.
    MS MCP, MCSE

ATI has a history of bad drives, not fixing drivers and not upating them. That may not be the case now, but they are going to have to work very hard over a period of time to win people back. A couple kick *** cards aren't going to win the people that were burnt in the past.

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    yeah I remember in the past they had an issue with really bad jaggys and issues that the card died early n stuff

I'd love a GFX, but it will most likely be too rich for my blood, but that does mean that the ti4200 should drop below £100 and i'll have one of those at that time. 128mb one.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

i went from a rdfx voodoo banshee to a geFOrce 4 mx440

if the G-FX had the All in Wonder version then it'll be a good choice

but the problem is that they don't

so 9700 is still the best choice for me

All in Wonder rules

well, i have the radeon all-in-wonder 8500 128mb video card, and it's a very good card! tv in, out, a/v in, a/v out, and a lot of other features. it's 128mb... that's the thing, the more mb's (most is 128mb), the better. the radeon 9000 pro has 128mb, and i plan on getting it...

Dan, did you notice any difference?, lol.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    the Radeon 9500 Pro isnt too bad either and its about $194 with shipping + handling ... its almost the same thing as the Radeon 9700 Pro cept its a little slower and its about $117 cheaper

I answered no to the question, I am not paying that kind of money for a graphics card no matter who makes it.

I think the point about no software that will use that power is a very good point.

when my GF4 starts to look slow I will look at whats about at that time, but I have never paid the price for the "best yet" hardware and it would take a big improvment to make me change that habit.

a 64 bit cpu that can run 32 bit software may be the only thing to make me pay lots of money for it, but not a graphics card.
    (sorry if my spelling is bad)

At 400$ dollars the only discount that would allow me to afford one of those beasts would be a 5 finger one!
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

well, i have the radeon all-in-wonder 8500 128mb video card, and it's a very good card! tv in, out, a/v in, a/v out, and a lot of other features. it's 128mb... that's the thing, the more mb's (most is 128mb), the better. the radeon 9000 pro has 128mb, and i plan on getting it...
    Why would you want a Radeon 9000 Pro when you already have the better card? Just because its a bigger number doesnt mean it performs better. It has half the pixle pipelines(or something like that) to cut cost so it doesnt perform as well as the 8500 128mb, heck even the 8500 LE 128mb.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the architectural differences between the Radeon 8500 and the Radeon 9000. ATI's biggest mistake was not naming the Radeon 9000 the Radeon 8000.

The 8500 has four pixel pipelines with two texture units on each and dual vertex shaders. The 9000 has four pixel pipelines with one texture unit on each and a single vertex shader. It's cheaper to make, just not as fast.

The only real advantage the 9000 has over the 8500 is "fullstream" which allows the use of the chip's 3D hardware to assist in decoding streaming media.

Essentiallly the 9000 is better for watching RealPlayer videos, the 8500 for everything else.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].