View Poll Results: Will you buy the $400-$500 Nvidia card ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 9.09%
  • No

30 90.91%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: OMG Read if your a Video card Freak like me (Just got issue about nVidia Fx)

I miss my Canopus Pure 3D 2! It kicked ****.

All ATI or Nvidia have to do to sell lots is make a good product (doesn't have to be cutting edge) and make it available to as many people as possible (ie affordable). They both seem to be caught up in the cutting-edge stuff rather than bringing prices down. I guess some of it is up to the manufacturers that use the ATI or Nvidia chips though.

I used to think i had a problem with nVidia cards, but after really thinking about it it's just because i have a ATI card I love I could care less who is beating who, as long as i have a good card.

... but this whole duct system sounds terrible. It seems to me like they are just going to send the cards OC'ed already. I'm sure if ATI shipped theirs with a wierd duct system, that they could easily bump up their MHz.

Don't be fooled tho guys, it sounds like the MHz myth is coming to Video cards right now
    - Avor

well, would you still say the radeon 9000 pro 128mb is still a good card? maybe for gaming? or would you suggest i get another radeon AIW 8500 128mb for my other computer...

I would suggest a plain white box ATI 8500128mb unless you want the AIW features. A better deal would to be to save up and buy a 9500PRO. (make absolutely sure it's the PRO)
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Ultimate Member
    The battle of the Nvidious versus the Atisons rages on...

The ATI 9000Pro is a good card if you are upgrading from a Gf2 or lower. It's the weakest true DX8 class card out there.

As to the GfFX, it really looks like a good card, but not the smashing home run I expect from a new generation card from Nvidia. When Nvidia brings out a new card my expectation is that it will put everything else to shame. No one else will have the features or performance. The Radeon 8500 is a good card, but when the GF4Ti series were released it was the 4200 not the 4600 that it was struggling to keep up with.

Now the GfFX is coming out, and while it's an incredible card the competition between it and the R9700Pro will be that of the Ti4200 and the 8500, not the Ti4600 and the 8500LE.

It's going to kick some serious hiney, but not so much that everyone who bought a 9700Pro is going to kick themselves for not waiting. Nvidia is no longer the undisputed leader, and their products aren't in a class by themselves any more.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

can only be good for the majority of us and it will push down 9700 and 4200 prices.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

The thing about the duct on the FX is actually a good thing because number one you shouldn't be using the 1st PCI Slot in order to avoid possible conflicts with the AGP slot. And my GeForce 4 Ti 4400 makes allota heat and I've got a PCI cooler under it and its always blasing out HOT air (and my CPU is very well cooled) But getting the heated air of the Gfx Card outa your computer before it messes with your processor is a good idea, if you computer could, it'd thank you.

I'm mainly looking for how good the FX card is at FSAA compared to Ge-4 (quincuxAA is one of the best Nvidia achievements ever) and Ati's latest card.

the geforcefx is starting to look the like a pentium 4 williamette. All glitz and no show.

how much does it actually cost to make like say a radeon 9700, or a GF4 4600? about $100? more, less?

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    it cost the company about $30 or around there per card ... its the hype of the card that raises its value so high and what they consider its rank in speed (notice when another company releases a faster card they lower their prices)

is it possible to make your own card? or do you need actual parts? well, i'm sure it's not as easy as building your own computer, anybody can do that! (most of anybody)

makeing your own video card would be awesome id put all the best features on one but I dont really think its possible to make ur own I imagine you would need alot of machines like they have in the factorys where they make the video cards

well, it costs them like $30 a card because they have machines that mass produce em, and they buy teh materials for the min bulk.

And if you make your own card, and it screws up your system, it would be very difficult to get tech support.

you most likely wont be able to get any tech support at all since you made it its your problem hehehe ... and id imagine you would have to work out bugs etc etc yourself , make the drivers software etc etc people just dont have time to do all that so its just better to pay someone to do it