View Poll Results: Will you buy the $400-$500 Nvidia card ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 9.09%
  • No

30 90.91%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OMG Read if your a Video card Freak like me (Just got issue about nVidia Fx)

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar

OMG Read if your a Video card Freak like me (Just got issue about nVidia Fx)

heres a picture of what it looks like

http://home.earthlink.net/~rei9707/Geforce.jpg

under the little pic it says
    "The Geforce FX runs so hot that it needs vent ducting (not shown) which could crowd your first PCI slot

now on to the story !

Credit for this story goes to William O'Neal from computer gaming world for writeing this article that I'm just showing my friends

If theres one thing this industry is lousy at, its keeping secrets. The veil of mystery surrounding Nvidia's NV30, the would-be Radeon-killer, had more holes in it than the Shround of Turin. While rumors of the NV30's specifications have been surfacing since last March, it wasn't until November's Comdex that the Santa Clara-based company let us in on what we pretty much knew already:
    NV30 is gonna be one ferociously powerful grathics card.
    Christened the Geforce FX (an amalgam of "effects" and an homage to the 3dfx engineers working at Nvidia), the card's entirely new architecture is reminiscent of Nvidia's jump from the Geforce2 to the Geforce3. While it's easy to look at the Geforce FX as simply more muscle, Nvidia likes to think of the card as a highly programmable processor, with myriad features that game developers will eventually have a much easier time tapping.
    Unfortunately, the Geforce FX still isn't available. Originally scheduled to ship in late 2002, Nvidia now expects the FX by February.The cause of the delay has been a source of considerable speculation, but it seems it's mostly due to Nvidia's desire to reduce heat. The Geforce FX chip also needed 125 million transistors (double the number of Geforce4) to achieve board, we can't say how it will benchmark next to the Radeon 9700. Nvidia is claiming that the Geforce FX will have a 30% to 50% overall performance advantage over the Radeon 9700, and a 40% advantage over the Radeon 9700 in Doom III.However, it's important to point out that Doom III is essentially a DX 8 title. Like the R9700, the Geforce FX will require a power connector to operate. Unlike the R9700, though, failing to connect the power cable wont disable the part; it will simply force it to run at a slower clock speed.
    Knowing that gamers demand the very best components, we wont be surprized if people shell out $400 for the top-of-the-line graphics card. Nevertheless, the FX's February ETA puts it that much closer to the release of ATI's next salvo (the rumored Radeon 10,000). Add to that a dearth of titles that will even take advantage of the technology, and we agian find ourselves in a place where the hardware may be years ahead of the software.

Heres the graths at the bottum

Geforce FX
    --------------
    Current core clock: 500+ mhz
    Current memory clock: 500+ mhz (ddr-2)
    Number of pixel pipes: 8
    Peak pixel fill rate: 4 gigapixles per sec
    Memory bus width: 128-bit
    Peak raw memory bandwidth: 16 gb/sec
    Manufacturing Process: 0.13u
    Maximum Addressable memory: 1GB

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    --------------
    Current core clock: 325 mhz
    Current memory clock: 310 mhz (ddr-1)
    Number of pixel pipes: 8
    Peak pixel fill rate: 2.6 gigapixles per sec
    Memory bus width: 256-bit
    Peak raw memory bandwidth: 19.8 gb/sec
    Manufacturing Process: 0.15u
    Maximum Addressable memory: 256mb

Enjoy

P.S - I think the new video card will overheat too much , will be too big , will cost $400+

...and my GF2 Ti looks better every day!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    I won't be purchasing it for two reasons...

1) I always skip a generation of video cards. My current card is a GF4 Ti4400, my previous was a GF2, and my next card will be whatever comes after the GFX.

2) All my PCI slots are populated, thus it would not fit in my box.

I also skip a generation. Went from Riva TNT to Geforce 256 to Geforce3 ti200. And the Asus v3400 Riva TNT was the most expensive vid card I've purchased, costing under $150.

I also skip generations. I went from a Geforce2mx to a Geforce4 ti4200. I plan to get the budget version (not MX, but a lower clocked version that retains all the features of the pricey cards.) of whatever comes after the GeforceFX and after whatever comes after the r300. If prices are low...maybe a budget GeforceFX?
    ----------
    Athlon Tbird 1.4 @ 1.55Ghz
    Soyo Dragon Lite KT333
    Geforce4 ti4200 128mb by Visiontek
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    WD8000JB 7200rpm 8mb
    Seagate 30GB 5400rpm
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by omega31
    I also skip a generation. Went from Riva TNT to Geforce 256 to Geforce3 ti200. And the Asus v3400 Riva TNT was the most expensive vid card I've purchased, costing under $150.
    So since you have a GF3 now wouldn't that mean that you ARE gonna get the GFX since you skipped the GF4 line???

I'm not getting it. For one it's too expensive, second they had a few beta version runs some benchmarks, and too say the least they were faster then Radeon 9700, but by no means nothing notible and was accually slower in nature. R300 been out since Augest.

I'm sorry guys, but unless Nvidia does some SERIOUS optimizing in the next month or so, the R350 will be a faster card at around the same price, and that means 9700 and 9500's prices will fall.

ATI is playing Nvidia at it's own game right now, and Nvidia is really getting caught off guard.

I've been waiting on the FX to come out, but only so the price of G4 will drop. Then I'll get one of those cheap. Been sitting on my G2 and it still does pretty good.

So since you have a GF3 now wouldn't that mean that you ARE gonna get the GFX since you skipped the GF4 line???
    Well, yes, but not at $400.

Originally posted by InnovaZero
    I'm not getting it. For one it's too expensive, second they had a few beta version runs some benchmarks, and too say the least they were faster then Radeon 9700, but by no means nothing notible and was accually slower in nature. R300 been out since Augest.

I'm sorry guys, but unless Nvidia does some SERIOUS optimizing in the next month or so, the R350 will be a faster card at around the same price, and that means 9700 and 9500's prices will fall.

ATI is playing Nvidia at it's own game right now, and Nvidia is really getting caught off guard.
    I think NVidia is in a bit of a panic. The one thing they need to ptimize bout the card is the, Pri$e. But I'll stick with ATI till NVidia actually puts somethin out worth lookin at.

I don't think that "panic" is in nVidia's dictionary. They will do fine, whether ATi has the next "God card" or not.
    MS MCP, MCSE

This looks familiar tho Nvidia is starting to be like vodoo before it sold and ATI is acting like the old Nvidia

does that mean that in the not far off future we'll be seeing the Radeon nVision?

Lol , no I just meant that its starting to go down the same road vodoo did

they even started building Huge cards now like the old voodoo cards the new versions of Geforce 5 FX cards will be even bigger then the old voodoo cards