Thread: Will Morrowind run OK...

Will Morrowind run OK...

Was wondering if I'll get decent frame rates running Morrowind on the following -

New system specs:
    Athlon XP 2100+
    512 MB PC2700 DDR
    GF TI4200 128 MB
    Onboard Realtek sound

If anybody can give me frame rates on their systems , I'd appreciate.

thaks

yeah morrowind should run great, it ran pretty smooth in 1280x1024 on my system

xp1800
    radeon8500 LE
    384 mb pc2100

Re: Will Morrowind run OK...

Originally posted by Bob43
    Was wondering if I'll get decent frame rates running Morrowind on the following -

New system specs:
    Athlon XP 2100+
    512 MB PC2700 DDR
    GF TI4200 128 MB
    Onboard Realtek sound

If anybody can give me frame rates on their systems , I'd appreciate.

thaks
    Nothing to worry about there, my son. Will run as smooth as a baby's bottom

-->Bubbleflap

That system will run any game out there. WIth no problem.

SWEET. I have basically the same system and was wondering the same thing.

What about what I've heard from everyone on this board about inconsistency in the framerate? Would this system still have those problems?

And one last question. Which has a better a better Tool Builder? I've played with NeverWinter Nights abit, and it seems well done, but still limiting, but Morrowind seems to have a better builder. Any help would be great.

Okay, breakdown of Morrowind's engine and why it runs like ****.

It doesn't have occlusion culling and doesn't allow for z-buffering to be done effienciently (though Bethesda improved the engine much from it's original lisencensed copy, they could get occlusion culling in nor get z-buffering worked out due to the core itself (making it hard for the gpu to tell what to process and not process) of the engine) There is one other game out their that uses the netinifity engine, and it runs HORRIBLY as it uses the base code.

With morrowind you really need processor power, that's just it, sheer processor power. The only thing the video card is going to help you with is if you want to take advantage of the DX8 features (which only effects water in the game btw) and get better filtering effects from FSAA, etc.

The game has DRAMATIC framerate drops. "Indoors" I can pull 45-60 on a Duron @ 1400 with a 4200 (308/550). You need PLENTY of system RAM for this game, the faster the RAM the better, as it does LOTS of loads. There is a guide at tweaktown on how to decide if you want longer loads with less frequency or shorter loads with more frequency. Outdoors away from people (a few creatures doesn't really bog the engine down) I'd get around 30 fps. In Balmora (the first "city"you really see), they would drop down to 16 - this is due to the extreme amount of textures on people and partially, buildings. Cutting down your LOS helps, but to get any real improvement, you have to drop it down so far that you don't see squat. They go into detail about some tweaks you can do. All of us have the hardware side covered, so just look for the .ini file section for what to tweak.

One ordinator (you'll encounter later on, walk up close to them and you'll see that I'm not lying) in morrowind has more textures than a small Q3 Arena map including participants.

This isn't a game where your graphics card will kill you, this is a game where you need sheer processing power - as on my workstation when it was running @ 2.75 ghz had no problems and would pull respectable frames all the time with the same card or the Quadro - the vid card made zero difference.

The worst thing is the menu/interface, you can't run it in a low resolution else the interface becomes even more annoying, and at a high resolution, you tax your processor to death (as it's already taxed at low resolutions). You need a fast processor to play this game smoothly, period. This isn't an engine that anybody in there right mind would consider for a FPS game as just aiming on a "low end" (high end for most games) would be a nightmare.

I haven't installed it on my 2700 system yet, though I'd expect about the same fps as the Intel I had. Though I'm waiting/shopping for a good board to overclock the baby with.

My Rig:

Athlon 2200+
    Asus A7N266-C
    MSI Geforce 4 ti 4600
    Windows 98 SE and XP Home (&mandrake9.0)
    other stuff...

I get around 22 FPS in Balmora. My Shadows are 1 step down from top, my draw distance is down about 3 clicks. In the wilderness I get about 60 FPS, so most people really envy me.

I tested it on XP and 98se. I run a few frames faster on my 98se partition. At one point indoors I hit 240 FPS. Those were both 40.72 drivers for their respective OSes. I'm planning on installing 41.09 on each and seeing if that helps any at all...

ßeeßlewind

Shadows will be a cheat you'll discover, as shodows "fall" through cielings and such, so you can tell what enemy your about to face. They made no effect on framerate for me on or off, I was just tired of seeing screwy shadows, so I turned them off. I have my view distance at max and I'm running at 1024x768 and just started a game up, pulling about 15 in Balmora on the DURON! **** I'm proud. I remember people with p4's at 2+ ghz getting 10 or lower fps. It's all in optimization (and not buying a gateway). I get about 40 in the wilderness, inside it shoots up dramatically. In the largest of indoor enviroments it's stil 60, in small enviroments it's double that.

If you need some tips or anything, let me know. I know a hack you can add to any merchant you want to increase the amount of gold he or she has (so you don't have to sell that 50000 dollar piece for 5000 after 10 minutes of scrolling the numbers down. The max you can raise it to (reliably), is 50000. Not much sells for more, and if it does, just buy some expensive things from the merchant until it levels out. Then "rest" 24 hours and sell it all back to him. Only two merchants in the game will buy and sell things for the same price, and only one is easy to get to. If you want me to send you the addon for the gold for just him and how to find the little bugger, PM me or just drop me a message here. If you have questions on anything, I'll be happy to answer them, as I've experimented with most spells and potions by now, so I know what is useless and useful. I can tell you of a few places which have rather lucrative offerings if your prepared for a fight level 5-10 with a bunch of healing potions and cure disease (well unless you want the disease in question as it has it's benefits and it shortcomings).

LOL yeah i like the Shadows, you can be on the bottom floor and sometimes thought the cracks you can see the shadows of what suppose to be on the floor above

it helps when you are about to face hard or higher level guys early in the game

as per system requirements

no wonder Morrowind runs so nicely for me 2 Gig of RAM , hardly any disk or CD access through the whole game, only when i go from a totally room to a interior or something like that

Yeah, running it on the 2700 xp with 1.5gigs of ram is nice, going to the Duron at 1400 with 840 (recognized) of PC133 isn't as pretty.

I need more ram running 512mb ddr2700 333 which I suppose is good enough, but not for me!

Hopefully i can get 1gig+ of ram when I get some more of the good stuff
    -->Bubbles

Ya Think Doom 3 Will Run on This?

Ya Think Doom 3 Will Run on This?

2X Xeon 2.8 533/604 pin
    Supermicro X5DAE Motherboard
    2x 512 pc2100 Registered Ram
    Nvidia G force FX
    Supermicro sc762-420 Case

Ooh this is a hard one (sarchasm to the limit). I'm not quite sure

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

hey bob morrowind ran fine on my Athlon 900 w/ 128mb and Geforce 2 mx soo.....