Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Problem... math problem

Intimate Member
    Originally posted by racronus

if he drops 500 loaves on the way to the 500 mile mark, he also needs to consume 500 loaves on the way there, then he won't have 500 loaves to leave at the 500mile mark.
    OOOOPSS Somehow, I just knew them Budweisers were getting to me.

Intimate Member
    Define the following...he can take to the city, or he must take to the city.

*left over bread reffers to the amount of bread he can take to the city, not the total left over

its 58

Originally posted by Bovon
    Define the following...he can take to the city, or he must take to the city.

*left over bread reffers to the amount of bread he can take to the city, not the total left over
    the amount of bread that the man is able to take to the city with him

actually i thought and thought...gave it some more thought....and came to the conclusion that the question itself is wrong

I heard the problem before and i think it suppose to be about a monkey and some bananas
    regards,

the xenon

IF YOUR HEAD HURTS DON'T READ THIS!

Here's what I got so far

The man walks toward the city 1 mile carrying 1000 loaves. Arriving at the mile mark he consumes 1 loaf, leaving 999 loaves at the 1 mile mark. He goes back to the starting point and consumes 1 loaf of bread. He is now left with 2998 loaves total.

This process is repeated again so that 2 more loaves are consumed and 999 more loaves are dropped off at the 1 mile mark. total loaves = 2996

Now he takes the remaining 998 to the mile mark, and then consumes 1 more loaf, leaving a total of 2995 loaves of bread.

For every 1 mile he moves foward he must make 2.5 round trips, 3 going out and 2 coming back to the previous mile. Each mile requires a consumption of 5 loaves of bread.

This process keeps going until he reaches 2000 loaves of bread. At this point he only needs to make 1.5 round trips, 2 going out and 1 coming back, the consumption rate now is 3 loaves per mile.

When he has 1001 loaves left, he will not need to make round trips back and forth anymore, he keeps going toward the city until he reaches it, consuming 1 loaf of bread per mile.

I don't think it's 668 loaves... I need to recheck

I think this whole thing is NUTS

it's got to be a fool, to do such an idiotic work out

LOL

its friggen alg2 jeez
    not trial and error lol

Originally posted by racronus
    IF YOUR HEAD HURTS DON'T READ THIS!

Here's what I got so far

The man walks toward the city 1 mile carrying 1000 loaves. Arriving at the mile mark he consumes 1 loaf, leaving 999 loaves at the 1 mile mark. He goes back to the starting point and consumes 1 loaf of bread. He is now left with 2998 loaves total.

This process is repeated again so that 2 more loaves are consumed and 999 more loaves are dropped off at the 1 mile mark. total loaves = 2996

Now he takes the remaining 998 to the mile mark, and then consumes 1 more loaf, leaving a total of 2995 loaves of bread.

For every 1 mile he moves foward he must make 2.5 round trips, 3 going out and 2 coming back to the previous mile. Each mile requires a consumption of 5 loaves of bread.

This process keeps going until he reaches 2000 loaves of bread. At this point he only needs to make 1.5 round trips, 2 going out and 1 coming back, the consumption rate now is 3 loaves per mile.

When he has 1001 loaves left, he will not need to make round trips back and forth anymore, he keeps going toward the city until he reaches it, consuming 1 loaf of bread per mile.

I don't think it's 668 loaves... I need to recheck

Uh, could you repeat that??

Maybe we could work on something simpler, like the square root of pi or something...