Thread: W98SE Setup Freezes

W98SE Setup Freezes

Appreciate some assistance.

Trying to install W98SE on formatted C:\>

Every time an attempt is made, : "To begin Setup, click continue", if "Continue" is clicked, the PC freezes.

Tried booting from Floppy disk and working way to Setup, and booting from W98SE CD and working way to Setup. Both routes led to the same results: try to click "Continue", and PC freezes.

Any suggestions?

Hello

Sorry to see that your having troubles. I would start off by investigating to key componets, ram and bios. Make shur that all the settings in your bios are correct for the system.

The other place to look is at you ram, many problems can occur if you have a bad stick. To test that try to find a stick from a machine that is working and use it in the machine that is giving you problems.

Those are the two things i would recommend checking out first before you get drastic and replace the chip or mobo.

Good luck

are you running the setup straight off the cd? if so, then you could try copying the win98 folder from the cd to the hdd, then run setup from the hdd.

Intimate Member
    I have had problems with several OS installs. I kinda believe it was due to a CD Rom drive not reading the disk properly...I came to this conclusion after I had to remove my burner to do an install a few months back. I have also copied the disk to the hard drive and ran setup from there...other than the time it takes copying the files over...the actual install is fast!!

another benefit of running the install from the hard drive is that the system won't ask you to "please insert win98 cd" when you add or change things. I hate putting in the **** cd when I have to setup networking. GRRR!!

Thank you for the replies.

After all else failed, ended up partitioning, formatting, and installing W98SE using the following commands:

A:\>C:
    C:\>md windows
    C:\>F3
    C:\md windows> \options
    C:\windows\options>copy x:\win98 (x = CD-ROM drive)

After the cab files and setup files are transferred from the CD to the C:\windows\options folder in the hard drive, the C:\windows\options> prompt reappeared.

To install W98SE, used the following command:

C:\windows\options>setup

So far, so good. PC is up and running.

If the o/s is already on your systom and runing OK.

Is it posible to set it up to your HD after that, so you don't have to use your win CD any more?

Or do you have to do this from the bigining?

If you have the Windows CD for your Operating System (for example, W98SE), you can copy the cab files in the win98 folder of the CD to the hard drive. After that, the Registry is edited to indicate the correct path.

However, if you do not have the CD, not aware of a procedure to copy the cab file. If there is, wouldn't mind knowing it also.

I do have the CD and I through out another thread because I thought this one might be dead.
    But : Bovon wrote.

Yes siree, you certainly can copy all of the Windows setup files to your hard drive, if you have room enough. I simply create a folder somewhere and usually name it Wininstall, then copy the cd rom into that folder...then when I add something here and that application needs the WinCD...I simply point the wizard to X:\Wininstall (X= which partition drive I put the files on.)

Whatever works.

Normally I just copy the win98 folder on the CD, not the whole CD.

Good luck!

Tried this :C:\windows\options>copy x:\win98 (x = CD-ROM drive)
    and it tels me Bad Command or file name.

The rest,it sais is there.

By the way I am trying this out on a prject Dell 133 with a 2 Gig HDD.
    So I can't go rong.
    Last edited by cleverardvark; 12-16-2002 at 04:41 PM.

You may need to type copy x:\win98\*.* from the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS> Directory or use the GUI to drag and drop the files.

If Windows is installed first:
    When it asks you to insert the CD, browse to the location where you copied the files to. I usually do C:\SUPPORT\WIN98 but in this forum it is C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS. After pointing there windows usually will point to that location for the CD instaed of trying to copy from the actual CD.

If the previous method does not work you can modify the registry.

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup

With the Setup folder Highlighted on the left, look on the right for a value called CommandLine, one called OLSSrcPath, and SourcePath. Change them to reflect the name of the folder you copied the cabs to.

If you copied the entire CD to the hard drive the CAB files will be inside the win98 directory.

Example from this forum (Entire CD or Folder):
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\WIN98

Example from this forum (WIN98 Contents Only):
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS

Hope this answers the question on how to do this after an install is complete.

Thanks to Every one...