Thread: Formating a computer with Windows XP

Formating a computer with Windows XP

I have never formated a computer with XP. What is the best way to go about and formating it?

before you format the HD (which is useless as far as getting rid of data) you better make sure you have all the software to reload the operating system and the drivers for all the devices.

does the HD have more than 1 partition?

did this pc come with XP installed?

is this a HP compaq, dell gateway, ect or a home built job?

some HP's came with no recovery cd rom but instead had the OS on a hidden partition. formating the HD may make the partition un-readable in which case your screwed.

post some spec's
    its hard to soar with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys

SOrry for not including info. It a girlfirends computer at it is REALLY slow. But it is only a year old and a 1.6 GHz. I know that it should be many times faster but who know what some girls do to their PCs. This computer is from Dell, it only has XP installed, and it came already installed. I have the WIndows XP reintallation CD and all the other CDs that came wiht he computer. I just want to wipe the computer clean and start anew.

Originally posted by MetalFist
    SOrry for not including info. It a girlfirends computer at it is REALLY slow. But it is only a year old and a 1.6 GHz. I know that it should be many times faster but who know what some girls do to their PCs. This computer is from Dell, it only has XP installed, and it came already installed. I have the WIndows XP reintallation CD and all the other CDs that came wiht he computer. I just want to wipe the computer clean and start anew.
    first step is remove cover/case and look at the HD to see what brand name it is.

next goto the manufactures site and download their HD utility that has a zero fill program on it.

zero fill the drive and use the recovery cd to reinstall.

anouther option is to just boot with the recovery cd in the drive and let it do its thing.

some recovery disk will automaticly partition and format and reinstall OS

do not choose the repair option but choose a complete re-install

either way there is no need to format the drive.

keep in mind ALL DATA will be lost!
    its hard to soar with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys

Before you go and wipe out all the data check and see how much memory she has in that box and then see what useless programs and spyware it has loading up when it starts. Chances are it being a 1.6 P4 or socket 478 celeron it only came with 256 MB's of ram and it's all being devoured by a bunch of useless junk that loads when winderz starts-up.

Between onboard sound and on board video and onboard lan, yada yada yada and possibly a winmodem for your surfing pleasure, this box may be gasping for air as it's being choked by all that and what I mentioned before.

Ultimate Member
    Set the CDROM to first bootable device in the BIOs, pop the XP Cd in and reboot, let it get ready to set up a new installation, and then use the partiton tool before setup to delete then recreate the partition

Then install XP on the blank part.

--Jakk