Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new 80 gig Maxtor NOISYYY?!?!? Supposed to be??

new 80 gig Maxtor NOISYYY?!?!? Supposed to be??

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 80 gig Maxtor Liquid Bearing Hard Drive,

I have created a 15 gig system drive, 3 20 gigs and 1 18 gig (approx)

I notice when the drive heads search etc,.. i hear a thrashing type sound, the sound you get with one of those old 80 meg Quantum HD's from the 90's that has been running too long.

Is this noise normal?? Should i bring it back? I thought, perhaps was expecting,. since it's liquid bearing, that the drive would be noiseless,. well alot les snoisy then my old 13 gig that i replaced.

Please shed some light on this,. it cost me 205$ Canadian,. and will rush it back if it is indeed defective.

(It works fine,. although for an ATA - 133 HD, it benched slower than most drives out there.)

thanx all,

Euphoryk

Ultimate Member
    Is it the Hdd vibrating off the case/chassis??

If so try screwing the rive in more securley, also try putting rubber washers between the case and HDD see if that helps, as a last resort you could get a quiet PC drive enclosure

--Jakk

Have 2 40 GIG Maxtor DiamondMax liquid bearing drives and they are virtually noiseless....and no rubber washers etc.. but make sure you have screws tight and lots of em front and back as they spin at 7200RPM. But that said if it is REALLY noisy I'd be sending it back....Even when I have both drives up and spinning at the same time, doing a 10GIG file transfer, it's hard to hear them.
    Whole point of bearingless drive is to reduce noise.
    Thrashing is a sign I saw years about just before drives went 'puff' ~~~~~~bye bye... it's usually a sign that the drive is having trouble finding files and hence the heads are flying back and forward to the FAT table for sector allocations.
    Send it back.

T

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Friend has 2 of them only a year old making noise sent them back got one and there was a big difference, alot quieter, send it back like mentioned above.

That's interesting. I just bought one this evening, and I'm hearing the same thing (sort of a thrashing sound when accessing or writing data). Not nearly as loud as some of my older WD 20GB drives, but definitely loud enough to make you wonder why it's advertised as "Ultra Quiet".

Gone
    Hmmm, is it still noisy after warming up? Mine makes a little noise (not much) when cold at first boot if its like under 70F. But in a couple sec. gets really quiet. Its a 40gig single platter though. they are quieter.

No, not really. It's been on for almost an hour now, and the noise level is about the same. I've got an identical Maxtor 80GB drive in this machine and it's truly silent conpared to this new one. As I'm typing this, I'm moving about 6 gigs from it to another drive (and have the side on my case removed) so I can listen to it. Well, it definitely isn't vibration due to loose screws. It sounds like a light thrashing sound when accessing every chunk of data. Basically, a noisy hard drive. Euphoryk - Have you returned yours yet?

return

Hey,

I am returning it today. I'm currently at work. I have somebody who is bringing it back for me,. will get home at 6 pm tonight eastern time and re-install.

Will keep you posted.

thankx,

Euphoryk

I exchanged mine last night (from a different store location), and I'm a little shocked...this one is just the same! Is Maxtor getting a little skimpy on their quality, or is there possibly a bad batch of these floating around?

I'm not happy to hear this. I have exchanged mine (confirmed). Will install when i get home if i can get rid of this headache.

BTW, Have you benchmarked the drive?? Try it and give me the name of the APP you use. We will compare benchmarks. I Benched the old one and the numbers were startingly low.

euphoryk

Gone
    "the numbers were startingly low."

That would make sense though. The noise you hear is the heads flying about trying to find the info where the file alloction table says it is. but thats where somthing is a-miss. So its killing the seek time. Seek is the #1 noticble "speed" feeling of a drive.

I don't usually use benchmark utilities (besides 3DMark 2001 SE). What do you use? Let me know and maybe I can give it a go tonight.

Sandra benchmarks my 40gig at around 24000.

T

**** Me

Yup, Replaced partioned Formatted Installed,. just as noisy as the last one. Oh well live and learn. Feel like mailing Maxtor directly. Wonder how many other people went through our situation.

Benchmarking, I'll scope it out. Maybe i used PCmark or SANDRA not sure. Will let ou know so we can compare.

System Specs:
    XP 1800+ (locked) FSB at 143 Detected as 2000+ 1.667 Ghz
    MSI-6380 MB
    3 hundred something DDR CAS 2.0 latency RAM
    GF4-MX 440 (asus v8170)
    Xp Pro

euphoryk

Here's my results using the free version of Sandra. Does this seem about right?
    Attached Images Attached Images