Thread: Users Uploading to my Server

Users Uploading to my Server

Hi,

I am just wondering, if I make my own server by using my IP Address, is there a way in which I can create folders for some internet users and allow them to upload to my IP Address with some password protection.

Is there any program that does this?

Thanks.

Alex.

I don't know how much help I'll be here, but yes you can do this. If you think about it, all webhosts do this exact thing. I access my web account using WS_FTP. I created permissions to certain folders. Then FTP into the account and transfer my files. I would imagine if you're using Apache you just need to set certain permissions for whoever you want to access the site and have them FTP in and transfer.

I take it you are trying to setup an ftp server for file uploads /downloads - try SERV-U ftp server - best of the bunch - allows you to configure many settings more than most - you can ban subnets / users for hammering , security using SSL-FTP etc - Too many features to mention - Windows NT has a basic FTP server which is quite quick and easy to set up but is very easy to hack into.

Try to avoid using Microsoft solutions like personal web server - they are by far the most hacked and so vulnerable. Linux would be my choice but if yer a microsoft man try SERV-U FTP.

http://www.serv-u.com/
    Sexual superstud of the new millenium...

I have downloaded BulletProof FTP Server.
    I configured everything properly.
    I set it on and using CUTE FTP I access my FTP Server by using my IP address, a username and password. It all works good.

IP Address typed in example
    202.143.234.45 <---- Not real IP Address
    The port is the default port which is 21.

Now I tell my friend to put it my IP Address, the username and password and then my friend tells me nothing is happening, it's like my IP is not there. He is also using CUTE FTP. I can see on the FTP Server Log file that nothing is happening.

What do I do to correct this problem?
    Last edited by Alex Iannuzzi; 12-02-2002 at 01:13 AM.

am not sure about this but i think users can use any ftp software
    but its u that has to set the ftp to ftps Wich is secure file transfer protocol

Mrs

change to passive mode

Re: Mrs

Originally posted by bassinvader
    change to passive mode
    How do I do this?

Mrs

you really need to give a bit more info.
    Was your successful ftp from another location or on your own network.
    Were you connecting locally or through the internet.
    In passive mode FTP the client initiates both connections to the server, solving the problem of firewalls filtering the incoming data port connection to the client from the server

You could email/send a private message to me of your ftp address and i'll send you a list of the settings required or error details so you can fix it if you still have problems.

Can you ping the ip address from your friends machine?

I had a lot of problems too on my website - I run a trance mp3 site but my isps and private servers kept finding the mp3s even when disguised and kicking them off so I am planning on doing exactly what you are doing and running it from my own servers at home - you will also have to watch as your ISP monitors uploads from client addresses - YOU WILL FIND THAT NEARLY ALL HAVE A CLAUSE THAT ALLOWS THEM TO KICK YOU OFF IF YOU SETUP YOUR OWN WEBSITE/FTP/TELNET WHATEVER SERVER ON THEIR NETWORK ....So be careful and set up/down limits on your ftp.

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html
    Last edited by bassinvader; 12-02-2002 at 11:58 AM.

This all is no use now because I sent a email to my ISP and they replied and said that my IP is dynamic which keeps changing and then I went into an IP website and when I keep on refreshing the page it keep given me 3 different IP addresses time to time.

They also say that any prot below 1024 are blocked.

I am connecting on the internet, it was only successfull when I ran the server on my computer and the client on my computer again. I tried taking the firewall off but that didn't help.

Anyway I found a program which says that they make your IP address to a website but that doesn't work for me as I have the 3 changing IP address and another real IP address which only seems to work for me. So the program gets confused on which one to choose out of the 2 choices either 3 ips or the 1 ip.
    Is there any other program that works?

Thanks,
    Alex.

OK,
    now i told my friend to change port to 1025 and now everything is working ok.

Methinks you are a bit confused - You can only really run your own server reliably and properly with a permanent IP address - If youd given a bit more info it would have been clearer - You will need a broadband connection and leave your system permanently on so that the DHCP server keeps your pc on the same IP or you can use a program called DYNIP.

If as I now suspect you are on a dialup forget it - you wont have enough bandwidth or uptime to run a decent ftp unless it is just for personal use.

I am on DSL and now everything works ok. I now used the normal IP address, the one found by winipcfg.

One more question, if I wanted to allow users to download from my FTP how can I put that on http?

ie. so in the http: bar what do type in . is it ftp://myipaddress.username.password/ ??????

Thanks,

Alex.

Last edited by bassinvader; 12-03-2002 at 12:38 AM.

Mrs

Ok forgot the port number - If your not on port 21 as most warez and such arent then you will need the port number too.

ftp://Leech:Away@215.16.38.115:12000/folder
    Last edited by bassinvader; 12-03-2002 at 02:40 PM.