Thread: For all you debian enthusiasts out there...

For all you debian enthusiasts out there...

How exactly do you get it? I've tried there Jimbo or whatever and it didn't work, and the link for the net install ISO was broken. Please Direct me to something.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I usually go to the Red Hat download mirrors and log onto one of the universities in my area, then browse the directories for other distributions and programs to download.

I've been trying to get a good .iso of the latest stable Debian, but each time I try to install it, it says that lib6???? is corrupt and that it can't fetch what it needs to fix it from the internet. Since I'm apparently the only one experiencing this problem, I have to assume that my machine is not compatable, but that seems odd since I've installed several other versions of Linux on it and gotten all of them to work ok. Anybody have a suggestion?

-Mike

try THIS

Thanks Nothing, I'm giving it a try...I hope they don't give me the same errors as the other iso's did.

-Mike

if I'm not mistaken, they have a program to check if the ISO is not corrupted on that same website. Look for it.

yes the MDM5 file that checks againts corruption

just find a program that reads .mdm5 files vs the iso

Yes, it all worked now. Thanks for the tips guys. I've been running Linux for about 4 years now, and can say that Debian is hands down the most knowladge-demanding install that I've seen. I was impressed with the network setup and fetching of current security patches. I think I answered most of the setup questions right, but still I have no USB mouse and my Xserver is mis-configured. I think I'm going back to SuSE 7.3.

Anyway, it was good to learn how to use checksums. :-)

-Mike

I hope you didn't remove Debian yet! You might want to try modprobe hid to load the Human Interface Device module, then try using your USB mouse. Whats up with X? Reconfigure it with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. LMK whats up and I'll try to help.

BTW, Debian is great. I just switched from Slackware to Debian and it runs pretty solid. I've been setting up newbie users in my LUG on Debian, because once you get past the main configuration (which I do), it's a very low hassle distro and it allows the users more time to play with Linux and learn it, instead of trying to mess with dependencie hell issues. I've been using Debian 4 weeks and I've setup 6 Debian boxes. Debian is great.

For you people on broadband connections, download one of the 186mb net install *.ISO images, install a base system, then apt-get everything else from a Debian mirror. Stick with ***** (aka Stable, aka 3.0). Some of the stuff is a bit old, but it's reliable. If you know what the heck you're doing, want an unstable and constant breaking system, or you're a developer, go with Sid or Sarge.
    Last edited by Praetorian; 12-10-2002 at 02:42 AM.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I just switched from Slackware to Debian and it runs pretty solid.
    Traitor!
    j/k
    Have you figured out which distro you prefer yet (P.S. why did you switch)?
    I am happily using Slackware but could be persuaded.
    That apt tool sounds especially juicy.

P.S. About that mouse and X...
    If Debian's not already gone, you can try:

modprobe usb-uhci
    modprobe mousedev
    and
    modprobe hid (as mentioned earlier)

These commands all load mouse and usb driver modules. I'd try them all. If they work, you can configure your system to load them at boot.

Also, in XF86Config:
    setting the mouse to "/dev/input/mouse0"
    Got my optical mouse working, along with the above drivers.

Of course if you do get everything working, expect to configure everything in this manner...pretty much by hand.

Originally posted by Cpl_Squirrel
    Have you figured out which distro you prefer yet (P.S. why did you switch)?
    I switched mainly because of APT. Had been using Slack for 6 months, and after a while I just found myself in dependencie hell, just like I did with Mandrake, SuSe, & Red Hat (about a year ago). APT is supposed to fix all of that, so I fired Debian up to see if this thing was really what it proclaimed to be. Well....APT rocks! I Like it so far. My system is pretty stable. I don't see any problems. One of the downsides to running Debian is my computer isn't bleeding edge like it used to be (I wait for packages to become "stable"), but it's reliable, so I guess I can't complain. BTW, the integrated menu system throughout the window managers is great.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.