Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: every OS sucks

Banned

every OS sucks

i dont know if this is GTD cause its discussion but its funny to and a song mhhhhhhh

http://homepage.mac.com/deadtroll2/....uckscable.html

linux doesn't. As the days go by I love to use linux more and more.

Ultimate Member
    Indeed - as soon as i get another NIC for my cable modem im moving over totally to Linux, Mandrake 9 is really simple and nci eot me and Lycoris looks rather pretty. In fact the onyl reason win2k is gonna be about is if i need compatibility with stuff or for the rest of the family to run stuff on

--Jakk

DOS and Linux(Unix) Rules!!

only Win OS sucks, and some version of MAC OS

BeOS is pretty good too, just too bad there isn't enough support

OS/2 and Netware is good but boring

So in reality only M$ OS sucks

So why did Redhat just implode on me while two versions of XP are going strong?

Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Banned
    i didnt like mandrak 9 whatsoever

no time to learn how to use unix interface and shell scripting

THOUGH it it part of my uni couse

redhat died on you cauz it's a magot infested pile of ****. I love linux, dont' get me wrong. I use it on my desktop, my servers, my laptop, at work (I work for an isp where our infastructure is linux and BSD) but redhat is ****!!! So is mandrake; it's built off of redhat. I'm not surprised at all that redhat died on you. I use Debian. It's a REAL *nix. Everything is done at the shell and Debian systems are BEAUTIFULLY organized. The deb package management makes RPMs look the windows msi; YUCK!

You want apache installed??
    apt-get install apache
    then hit yes and visit http://localhost

or an ftp server?? no prob.
    apt-get install proftpd

how bout the nessus security scanner??
    apt-get install nessus nessusd nessus-plugins
    (you need three cauz you can have the client and not the server)

You decide you no longer want an ftp server?
    dpkg --remove proftpd
    and that removes ALL the proftpd files, EXCEPT the configs. so you can install it in the future again and have it setup exactly the same way it was before, beautiful. Or if you want the configs gone too:
    dpkg --purge proftpd
    and it's all gone!!!

How about keeping a system up to date?? Well, in Debian you can install everything through apt so you just do:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    and it will upgrade very single piece of software on the system to the newest version available from Debian, and trust me, theres ALOT of software.

If you aren't afraid of the shell then Debian is the ONLY way tot go as far as linux is concerned. Why would ANYONE want to use redhat over this???

~Paul
    |}~(O)~{|

I guess you like Debian over Caldera and Suse too? I'll have to try it out. Is there any GUI at all? Programs?

How about FreeBSD? Too different?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Banned
    wait wait

the whole os is TEXT BASED

right?

BSD is an AMAZING server OS, i love it. I can't name my company but we are a fairly big DSL provider and when we started to get a large flow of new customers we needed a faster router to route all of the traffic. The problem was that the cisco routers we neede dto do the job were 50k$+ CDN and we didn't have tha tmoeny. So we bulit a high end dual cpu Athlon MP with a gig of DDR ram and slapped BSD on it. It has 5 100MBit NICs in it and it routs a constant 5 to 9 Megabytes per nic, and it's hardly breathign hard. This cost us 8 grand instaed of 50 grand. We are planning on upgrading the NICs to gigabit because right now our bottleneck is the throughoutput of the 100 MBit nics.

I think Suse is my fav linux distro when it comes ot the desktop, but I'd still use debian.

Debian does have X-windows, but it's done in the typical *nix fashion. You need to install xfree86-common xfree86-server xf86utils and any extra fonts you want. If you want to amek things easy on yourslef you can run:
    apt-get install xf86setup
    and it's a graphical setup program which runs the server in a basic 640x480 mode and allows you to graphically pick all of your settings.

To be honest, the installation for xfree86 has been the only thing that has dissapointed me about Debian, it's not very streamlined. You actually need to install a few seperate packages and do the setup. However I've been told that there is a scrip that you install from the Debian tree and run and it will ask you some questions then will configure everything for you. I've just always done it manually cauz I know how.

Another thing about debian is debconf. Basically you can use debconf to configure pretty much any server or service, and when you do major upgrades of packages that require configuration files that are layed out differently (like going from xfree86 3.3 to 4.1), then debconf builds your config files for you from it's stored settings.

Debian is da bomb!

~Paul
    |}~(O)~{|

Ultimate Member
    I think criticism of M$ isnt really fair AG

XP and 2k are rather good OS's indeed, win 9x was definitley a plate of sphagetti but NT5 is pretty solid and good for general usage. I just wanna move to linux as im tiring of the whole MS interface and what not - time to learn sumink different, hence linux

An german j00lz, your criticisms of linux are rather invalid seeign as you spnt less than a day workign with it

--Jakk

Banned

true

but then again why should i!

winxp doesnt crash runs fast and stable and i like its greyness

Ultimate Member
    I think ppl should now be lookign at moving to linux - with mandrake 9 it has gotten so user friendly and is progressing so well, that as long as it remains free we may indeed find certainly the Pro's moving away from MS and those on budgets such as schools and offices looking at linux

--Jakk

acid_burn~187, do you know of any websites where I can read about Debian commands? thanks

I wanna try it out

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    I think ppl should now be lookign at moving to linux - with mandrake 9 it has gotten so user friendly and is progressing so well, that as long as it remains free we may indeed find certainly the Pro's moving away from MS and those on budgets such as schools and offices looking at linux

--Jakk
    games jack?