Thread: KR7A-133R vs. AMD 2200xp

KR7A-133R vs. AMD 2200xp

I have an Abit KR7A-133R that I've had for a few months. It has been housing a T-Bird 900 oced anywhere from 933 to 1100 that was purchased 2 years ago this month. I finally picked up a new 2200XP, (AIRGA stepping should it matter) and tried to upgrade.
    I can't get the cpu to boot at all. The bios is up to date, cmos has been reset and I still get nothing. My friend tried the cpu out and it works fine but my motherboard will not recognize it. I've pulled all the cards out less vid and the same response. Tried a diff Graph card, nothing. This is the link to the bios I used. I used the 2.31 because that supported the 2200 and the 2.32 did not have it listed. I tried the 2.32 after I couldn't get the 2.31 to run with the new cpu to get only the same response. I have a global win heatsink with a delta fan and everything stays pretty cool so I'm basically uncertain what to do. Obviously a new MSI FISR board or the ABIT equivalent are two answers to my problem but I'm sure this board should handle it. I have a 1600XP in it on loan oced to a 1700 with no issue. Sorry this was long but details are imperative and I hate to have to post again explaining what I have for a rig.

fyi:

400W Pwr Supply
    Twin 20G ATA133 Maxtors in RAID 0
    768 Kingston DDR 2100
    GF4 TI4600

Tripper

Visit www.deadspacesociety.com to waste time.
    Love, Peace and Hair Grease

I doubt that the Abit will support that. I've seen posts on this before. "Should" doesn't cut it. They all say that.

You'll get better memory support by purchasing a new board. The ESC K7S5A is dirt cheap and works, but Biostar has some nice offerings.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...82E16813138209
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks for the advice but I may have found an answer. For those that have had the same issue with various abit boards, check out this link. I haven't applied this idea yet but plan on doing it as early as this evening. Hopefully, it will address my problem. If not, I'm leaning towards the at7 max2 although the price is a bit hard to swallow.

Tripper

That example starts with an unlocked Thoroughbred which wasn't booting on your board - not a standard Palomino.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Palomino? I'm fairly sure there was no reference to a palomino so I'm not sure what you mean. I am currently running a palomino on loan but that has nothing to do with my issue. I have found some information that may be useful. I have some mods to do to the chip or my mobo but I will post as to how I make out supposing everything still runs.

Tripper

Re: KR7A-133R vs. AMD 2200xp

Originally posted by Madtripper
    My friend tried the cpu out and it works fine but my motherboard will not recognize it.
    You've apparently forgotten your reason for writing. My point is that the article you referred to was about a "pencil-tricked" Thoroughbred that wasn't booting properly. You never mentioned that yours was unlocked and I'm assuming that you're just trying to get a standard 2200+ Xp to run in that board.

Anyway, connecting those bridges will not make a standard T-Bred run on that motherboard if it doesn't work now.
    MS MCP, MCSE

You are confused. The reason they are calling this "unlocked" is because they come from the factory with the L1 bridges intact and by measuring the resistance acrossed each trace, you will see that all the are connected to the opposing sides. This cpu is unscathed in any form of mod or "pencil-trick" but there is a way around this even with my mobo not addressing the cpu. Here are some links to read and maybe it will clarify my situation for you. Also, yes, by cutting two of the L1 Bridges, this cpu will run in my board. I haven't done it yet but plan too shortly. In essence you have to "lock" the factory unlocked cpu. Realize I'm not referring to unlocked as in moving the FSB. These traces all have to do with multiplier manipulation which is what I need to get the cpu recognized.

I suggest reading the AMD posts.

Sudhian Media
    AMDMB.com

Tripper

Seems like a lot of trouble for a pretty-much obsolete motherboard. You seem to have a handle on it though. Best of luck!
    MS MCP, MCSE

To be honest, I seem to be stumbling a bit. I tried both the L3 connect and the #3 and #4 L1 cut both with no luck. I don't mind messing a cpu up but I'd rather not screw with my mobo. I'm still in pursuit of a way to get this combo to work and will post anything that seems pertinent. Thanks for the comments bill.

Tripper

Madtripper, have you tried running the CPU at 2000 or 2100?

does it work at that speed?

what is the Original retail speed of that CPU?

also the BIOS you should be using is this one

Page
    http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bios/kr7a-133.htm

BIOS
    http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/...133/kr7ab5.exe

I have a 2200XP rev A. I can't adjust anything in the BIOS because it won't even post. I am running the 2.31 BIOS as it "claims" support for the 2200's. I hadn't thought of moving to the 2.32 because it only supports up to the 2100 although I did try it without any mods to the cpu. Now that I reflect, perhaps using my mod, (the L1 cut which is pretty much permanent) the chip is trying to boot as a lower Tbred which is supposedly supported by that last bios. I'll try that and get back.

Tripper

the new BIOS supports everything that previous BIOS supports

where did you get the idea that the newer one will not work

The new one doesn't work either.

If you look at the description of the bios', you will see the kr7ab5 claims support to the 2100 tbreds whereas kr7a9n claims support for the 2200's which have only been built on the 0.13 micron: aka Tbreds. So, seeing as the kr7a9n BIOS update laid claim to support the 2200 and the kr7ab5 only supported up to 2100, and of course I having purchased a 2200, chose to use the BIOS that supposedly supports this chip. I explained this in my original post also. I do apologize for the misleading labeling of 2.31 for the kr7a9n and 2.32 for the kr7ab5 and also the broken link.

This is off of Abit's site which is www.abit-usa.com:

Kr7ab5:
    Support AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+ and 0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+.

Kra9n:
    Unfortunately, Abit has corrected their site to not include any of the 2200's and higher.

On to my last attempt. By cutting the #3 and 4 L1's, should lock the multiplier to below a 2100 speed which should boot. They still don't. I'm beginning to think there is no way to make this work which is extremely disappointing and a valid reason to bash Abit.

Tripper

just buy the "dirt cheap" k7s5a to tide you over.
    ----------
    Athlon Tbird 1.4 @ 1.55Ghz
    Soyo Dragon Lite KT333
    Geforce4 ti4200 128mb by Visiontek
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    WD8000JB 7200rpm 8mb
    Seagate 30GB 5400rpm
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server

That wouldn't work for me. I'm looking at getting the Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra. If you haven't looked into them, take a peek.

Tripper