Need advice as to what to do before I install WinXp SP1
I've got a Dell Dimension model 8200 with an 80GB HD running WinXP Pro. There have been no Windows updates installed on this machine since I got it back in April '02.
1) I would like to know what I should do before I install WinXP SP1 on CD? I have Norton AV 2002 installed. I guess I will need to disable the AV software. How?
2) Is there anything else I should be aware of before I take the plunge? Since I have a dial-up Internet connection, I decided to order this service pack from MS directly.
3) Are there any configuration options to select in the SP1 install? If so, which option(s) do you advise since I've got a Dell with OEM software? I'm using AOL, but my browser of choice is IE.
4) How long does the SP1 install on CD take?
Sorry for all the questions.
I'm just concerned.
1) right click dissable on the icon
2) yikes, make a full 100% backup of your WinXP partition, YOu'll NEED IT
3) no option, just click and go
4) no more than 5 min
I strongly suggest to wait for SP2, overall SP1 has been nothing but trouble
way too many complains and M$ did admit it has problems
they just released some patches to fix SP1
Thanks for your input Allgamer.
New Security Features Planned for Firefox 4
Another Laptop Theft Exposes 21K Patients' Data
Oracle Hits to Road to Pitch Data Center Plans
Microsoft Preps Array of Windows Patches
Microsoft Nears IE9 Beta With Final Preview
Simplified Analytics Improve CRM, BI Tools
Android Passes RIM as Top Mobile OS in 2Q
VMware Updates Hyperic System Management
File Monitoring Key to Enterprise Security
LinkedIn Snaps Up SaaS Player mSpoke