Thread: WARNING! on Ghost 2003

WARNING! on Ghost 2003

So far Ghost 2003 has been a disaster on my WinXP system. First, I tried to use the Win(XP) interface. Ghost can only detect the first 3 of 5 partitions on my 80GB main drive. (It misses one FAT32 partition and one NTFS partition). Two rounds with Tech Support has yet to supply an answer other than "Try the DOS interface." Well I tried the DOS interface and had the option of using PC-DOS or MS-DOS (which requires feeding Ghost a W9x boot disk). I first tried PC-DOS and when I booted from it, I could see all 5 partitions but when I said I wanted the backup image stored on the attahed Firewired HD Ghost crashed. Tech support said, try MS-DOS instead of PC-DOS. So I did. Ghost still crashes when I point to the Firewire HD.

FWLIW, Both Paragon Drive Backup and Dantz Retrospect have had no problems with Firewire drives in general and this one in particular. For now I'd have to say, DO NOT USE GHOST 2003 with WinXP if you have critical backup needs.
    FijiJohn

Ultimate Member
    I still prefer Drive Image for its ease of use over rather compicalated Ghost, especially where NTFS is concerned Ghost (2002) can be a real pain in the trussocks

--Jakk

DI going twice
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

DI going twice
    Make that 3 X's!

Harder

Considering the DI and Partition Magic coem from the same people here's another reason t chose DI over Ghost:

My query to Symantec:

>Please tell me if Ghost cannot deal with partitions created by
    >[PM and Windows XP Computer Mangement]. That
    >would be a VERY serious limitation that should be prominently
    >mentioned.

Symantec's response:

Ghost will work with partitions that follow standards. Partition
    Magic does have the ability to "bend" or "break" the rules, and thus Ghost may not work with all partitions created with the program. If you did make partitions using Partition Magic, then I suggest that you delete them and recreate them using a standard tool such as Fdisk or Gdisk.

Best regards,

Daniel Stark
    Symantec Online Technical Support

Right Daniel, "standard tools" like GDISK???? And sure I'm going to delete all my data (since Ghost cannot back it up) just so I can then back up those partitions???
    FijiJohn

Well FijiJohn, as I stated in my post to your request at

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=117116

and notified via PM (both of which you did not reply to) you were told of the merits of DI 2002.

Another vote (no. 4) for DI 2002.

G

Regardless of Partition Magic 7 or Ghost 2003 or whatever

all those tools were NEVER ment for to be run inside Windoze

that's worse place ever you can run that

all the times you think there's error when you run them inside Windoze GUI, you wont have any trouble running them out in a REAL DOS from Win98 or DOS 6.22 / DR DOS 7.03

anyways

DOS Rules!