Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to add 512MB Ram But won't boot up.

I'm trying to add 512MB Ram But won't boot up.

Oh boy here I am again. I added two 512's and nothing. It seems to get stuck booting up. I'm not sure if it freezes but 5 min seem just a little long. But when I pulled 1 chip out and put the 256mb back in 1 slot it worked alright. I did have to shut power off to reset when I had both 512's in and in came back on it safe mode I checked the systems Info and it showed 1024MB for ram. But wouldn't get by the first boot again. do I have to do somthing to them. I thought it was slap them in and go. or anm I in to much of a hurry and I should let it sit awhile to load into the ram? any Ideals if somthing is wronge here. Ram should be compatable with my system. 512mb sdram pc133. and it's working with 1 in now Should I go again and just let it run Thanks Joe

Hello Joe.

Need a tad more info to be able to help you.
    What operating system are you trying to run on 1024 MB ram, what brand and model mobo are you trying to do this on, and what type of mem are you using.

Sounds Like as if he's using Win98/ME

Yeah! 98se and 1024 mb's ram crash bang boom. need I say moe? Hey Moe!

Gone
    Translated that means you need the work around to use over 512mb in 98/me. What OS are you using. If it is 98/Me Either upgrade and run 2k or XP or use the work around. I forget what it is though! Search google "1gig mem on win98" you'll find it quick enuff.

Run msconfig.exe and hit the Advanced button. Click limit memory to and set it to 999mb. Also open up system.ini and add
    [vcache]
    MaxFileCache=524288

Actually, a little less, like 523264.

One previous thread out of countless others:
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=117675

Others:
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/search.p...der=descending

Sorry took so long

My motherboard is a P4S5A I have the P4 1.8 Ghz and was replacing 2 256MB sdram with the 2 512MB sdRam. I'm running windows 98se. according to the motherboard I can run up to 1 GB in each slot. But that wasn't working as well as it was stated in the book. I did get the 1024 MB in and it did show up on the screen in system utilitys. But I couldn't get my GForce 2 Mx400 card to go in without major problems. once wouldn't even let me back in. It went into safemode. then it started going in But not using the vodeo card, when I attempted to change over to the geforece a warning of some type more or less saying not compatable pops up. I also noticed I wasn't getting all the setting for my geforce. I had 16, 256 and 16 true and 32 true I beleive but not this time had no 32 True. the highest. didn't matter, none of them would turn on anyway. The memory is pc133 168 512MB thats about all I know. also I haven't been able to install the network device on my motherboard. I'm in the process of putting 1 of the 256 chips back in and seeing if that works ok. since that is how I started in the first place. 1 always worked but 2 had problems and I figured I needed to just reinstall windows to set them up. Not using my better judgement never had to do all that before. Oh well I'm hoping that atleast 1 chip will run ok with a 256. any other info on whats causing all this trouble ? and why the motherboard can handle them but theydon't work Thanks joe

What good will anything more than 128MB RAM do in Win98SE? I'll tell you what - nothing. You'll get more trouble than benefit because Win9x is really stupid about large amounts of RAM. Anything over 256MB is a total waste.

Now - let's talk about Win2K/XP and 1GB RAM...
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    What good will anything more than 128MB RAM do in Win98SE? I'll tell you what - nothing. You'll get more trouble than benefit because Win9x is really stupid about large amounts of RAM. Anything over 256MB is a total waste.

Now - let's talk about Win2K/XP and 1GB RAM...
    Now I heard That windows XP was bad news. Somthing about not being able to play games very well. or something like that. and other people I've talked to kinda gave me the empression that they didn't care for it. Why I don't know but always made me stay away. That and the price tag. Plus windows 98 hasn't done me wrong for what I use it for. I guess we all have different needs. maybe I'll have to get a copy of XP and see for myself what it can do. Thanks for the input Joe

Yeah - I sorta heard something about something else somewhere, but I can't remember either.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    Yeah - I sorta heard something about something else somewhere, but I can't remember either.
    Yea this is america you can call me stuiped. I guess thats why I come to this site to get help.

Actually, it's not America, it's cyberspace - a land between lands. Many of our members are from the UK, Canada, Oz, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Israel, India and on and on.

There's an old Marine Corps saying:

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

That's good advice. Try it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."
    Uh oh...big trouble here...spelled Catch 22.
    Hearing is reading in cyber land. If cnn7 takes your advice and believes none of what he hears, he won't believe that he should believe none of what he hears. Which means he's is believing you. But on the other hand, if he doesn't believe you, then that means he is believing you since he's not believing what he hears. And...oh lordy...time to go find the giant bottle of asprin I'm afraid.
    I plan on living forever. So far, so good.

Originally posted by Cluedo

Uh oh...big trouble here...spelled Catch 22.
    Hearing is reading in cyber land. If cnn7 takes your advice and believes none of what he hears, he won't believe that he should believe none of what he hears. Which means he's is believing you. But on the other hand, if he doesn't believe you, then that means he is believing you since he's not believing what he hears. And...oh lordy...time to go find the giant bottle of asprin I'm afraid.
    I already took mine LOL.

MS MCP, MCSE