Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IBM Reveals Tag 'N Seek Technology

IBM Reveals Tag 'N Seek Technology

hopefully it wont burn up if u let it run for 20 mins

How nice of them to put tags on everything, so you can identify your dead files afterwards...kinda like the tags they put on the dead after a disaster...hmmm.

-Aarmenaa

it sounds like they're merging SCSI and IDE. we needed a new format anyway.

I thought IBM got out of the HD business... or was it just the manufacturing of the HDs?

there was talk, but then they realised where all their money was really going. let's just say that employees had a REALLY good deal till they found out.

now they manufacture drives, but on a much smaller scale. just enough for themselves, and the spares get sent out to warehouses so that we mortals can buy them.

What? Are they talking about the IMB DEATHSTAR? Don't waste your money!!!

guys, wake up its only the 75GXP that crashed

I know the sting of dead drives, i have 2 IBM 75GXP's and i've RMAed them both 2X, one is about to go in for time #3. and while the tag the dead comment is a pretty good one. i have to let you all know, that only the 75GXP and some early 60GXP's had the problems that ibm is being sued for, the 120GXP was a totally solid drive, nothing against it on the reliability front.

how many commands long is the queue? a full 256 like SCSI or (lol) just 2 or 4?

how can they benchmark a drive like that without using a SCSI benchmark? wouldn't an IDE benchmark simply give it only 1 command at a time forcing it to function as a normal drive?
    what am i missing here?
    System now:
    1.8ghz northwood. (will pin mod to OC later)
    568MB DDR1 at 200mhz
    Sapphire Radeon 9500 np
    16GB 15k scsi if i can get it to work
    160GB wdc RAID 1

i think you're right dosmaster, only a SCSI benchmark will pick up the IDE hardware and refuse to operate. tricky huh?

The only operating system that supports the Tag'n'Seek technology is BeOS 5. Windows XP doesn't support Tag'n'Seek.

i'm sure they'd have drivers available, though it shouldn't make any difference to the performance, should it?

Looks like with the ATA limitations that I would say no. Remember, the Chipset really determines speed.

good point. we'll need to wait for the mobo chipset makers to incorporate support before we can fully use the advantages this provides.

I would like to see, more than anything, is better access times and lower heat. That, more than anything, would increase speed up times no metter what chipset.

i've been thinking about racks for mine because of that. pity the laptop can't have one fitted.

60gig DeathStar

Sorry Dosmaster, but mine is a 60gig. I purchased it less than 9months ago. It was manufactured in Oct. 2001. Now, that's what you call earlier. Then mine is one of the earlier ones. I just replaced it with another brand that hasn't exhibited these failures. By the way, I also sent my drive back for RMA in the replacement brand's box Let's make a statement.