Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GF4 Mx-440 beats my GF4 Ti4200

GF4 Mx-440 beats my GF4 Ti4200

Hi,

Today I got my new SUMA 64 Mb GeForce 4 Ti4200.
    I tested 3D Mark 2001 and got 7018 3d marks. You guys said that I should be expecting around the 8000 barrier.

I then told him to test MOHAA on his computer. He gets around 30-90 fps. In my computer I only get 10-45 fps. He is beating me with a GF4 Mx-440. What can be wrong with my system?

We then tried putting my GF4 Ti4200 on his computer and running MOHAA and I got around 20-70 fps. This still means that my Ti4200 is worst than his GF4 Mx-440. Could this be true?
    Or is something just wrong with the Ti4200.

GeForce 4 Ti4200: Core: 250 Mhz Memory: 500 Mhz
    GeForce 4 Mx-440: Core 270 Mhz Memory: 400 Mhz

My card has a faster memory but I still don't beat him. This is making me very angry as I paided more for my card and get less performanace than his.

The only thing my Gf4 Ti4200 beats him so far is in 3D Mark 2001, but that's not really a game.

We also tried Quake 3 Areana Demo001 and on my computer I get 131 fps and on his computer with his GF4 Mx-440 he gets 170 fps.

Please can anyone help me in dealing with this problem.

Below are the systems.

My System:
    AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz
    Soltek SL-75DRV5 Kt333 Motherboard Socket A
    Suma GF4 Ti4200 64 Mb
    Seagate 40 Gig 7200 rpm ATA 100
    256 Mb DDR-RAM
    Running Windows 98 SE
    Nvidia Drivers 30.82

My Brother's System:
    AMD XP 1900
    Gigabyte GA-7VRX KT333 Motherboard Socket A
    Leadtek GF4 Mx-440
    Mator 40 Gig 7200 rpm ATA 133
    2 x 128 Mb DDR-RAM
    Running Windows XP Pro
    Nvidia Driver 40.42 - or whatever

you computer is slow !!!!!!!!!!!
    3D performance is no only depend on graphic card but also on your over all system

Originally posted by 123eskk
    you computer is slow !!!!!!!!!!!
    3D performance is no only depend on graphic card but also on your over all system
    But how come when I put my GF4 Ti4200 on my brother's computer I still got a lower fps in MOHAA that what he did with his GF4 MX-400?????

if that was my GF4 ti 4200
    i'll have already returned it, and got another GF4 ti4200

What are your game video settings? He's probably got everything turned down and you're maxed out. If you're using 4X AA in the Properties for the GF4, try Quincunx instead - or off.

I get 100 FPS with my GF4Ti 4400 in MOHAA with Quincunx - and 150FPS with it off.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I know that games based on the old QII engine didn't like it if you swapped out cards on them without reinstalling the game. I don't know if this is true of the QIII engine too, but it is certainly worth checking out. You absolutely didn't get hosed by buying the GF4 4200. Try running Commanche 4 and comparing scores.

k well, if i can add my 2 cents...

1.2 duron is nothign compared to his 1900xp

thats a big bottlenext right there...

yoru running win98 he has xp witht he new det 40.

if you ask me yes your still getting very slow resualts.... but you probably have max detail cause of yoru vid card but your cpu can not handle it..... i would be getting a amd xp chip if i were you.

In MOHAA we both have our setting on MAX everything, at 800x600. How do I change the 4 AA settings?

But it's a SUMA and you guys said that I should have goten it.

When swapping the cards we did not reinstall any games, maybe we should?
    Last edited by Alex Iannuzzi; 09-27-2002 at 07:41 PM.

The AA settings are in Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce > Additional Settings (if you're using the nVidia Detonator drivers).

Don't reinstall the game - it won't help.
    MS MCP, MCSE

About you and your Geforce 4's

There is quite easy explanation for this Geforce 4 TI4200 vs. Geforce 4 440MX dilema of yours. The Athlon XP is not just a higer clocked CPU from the Athlon Thunderbird it has new features such as more 3DNow! instruction sets which allow it to speed up graphics etc. So it is quite simple what the answer is, you brother's system kicks ***! Frame rates are not all about the card either, the system has to be able to keep up with this graphics ripping monster, he has a faster 133Mhz UDMA bus, a better motherboard (The Gigabyte board ranks among the top three fastest Socket A boards around) Could just be the different brands of equipment too. Benchmarks, in order to be accurate have to be under identical circumstances. Personally I think maybe it's the enhanced graphic capabilities of the XP processor could be artifically boosting the results or skewing them. In addition, you are running a different OS than him which can really skew results. The XP processor name implies exactly what you might think it does, it works better running under Windows XP. It has special instruction sets built onto the CPU to help with Windows XP's heavy overhead. Like all Microsoft OS's XP is a power hungry monster, and Kudo's to AMD for thinking about that when designing a new CPU. Don't see Intel doing any of that lately.

Oh, just remembered something.

I just remembered something about Nvidia based cards, Geforce MX versions of higher end Geforce 2's 3's and 4's in the past have been known to outperform their higher priced cousins in benchmarks. It is an inherint problem with benchmark programs and graphics cards, sometimes the number don't jive. That framerate display in games is subject to the same inaccuracy. Never trust a benchmark entirely.

Guys he is putting the frikking card in his brother's system, it's not a CPU issue. Make sure you check ALL your settings and before you install your card, uninstall all the drivers and then put your card in and reinstall the drivers. (use add/remove programs to uninstall the drivers)
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Gone

Re: Oh, just remembered something.

Originally posted by bdent
    I just remembered something about Nvidia based cards, Geforce MX versions of higher end Geforce 2's 3's and 4's in the past have been known to outperform their higher priced cousins in benchmarks. It is an inherint problem with benchmark programs and graphics cards, sometimes the number don't jive. That framerate display in games is subject to the same inaccuracy. Never trust a benchmark entirely.
    I see no truth in that at all. Sorry but I should know.
    I had first gotten the G2 mx400 that was released as the MX varient of the G3 since there is no G3 mx anything. So there you have the mx version vs. the origianl. The mx400 was a tird, very slow. the g3 blew my mind. Gigantic dif. I dont see that mx or the next MX one beating the G3-so how is this true about hte benches? MX is the low end, that simple...

Gone
    Originally posted by morpheus kain
    Guys he is putting the frikking card in his brother's system, it's not a CPU issue. Make sure you check ALL your settings and before you install your card, uninstall all the drivers and then put your card in and reinstall the drivers. (use add/remove programs to uninstall the drivers)
    I was about to say the same thing.
    Anyhow, did you reisntall your video drivers when doing this. hte are unified drivers BUT the select the settings in them when detecting the card. Therefor your card may run like a MX when just yanking the other and sticking it in there. Secondly make sure AA is of and that qualitysetting is to max performance not detail. what driver version you have? If its newer also turn off txture sharpening and antistropic filter...

When moving my Ti4200 to his computer I re-installed the Nvidia drivers 40.42 .

Anyway, I tried MOHAA again and set everything to low detail and everything else and in the first mission is still kind of goes slow. I am thinking that MOHAA can't be too compatible with my video card.

I don't have the quality setting is to max performance not detail set on, but I will try.