Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Linux

Best Linux

I am finally going to delve into linux, an OS that I know nothing about. Spent too long farting around with windows, now it's time to try the best alternative. My question is this, and it's probably one that has been asked many, many times.....

In the readers opinion, which is the best release of linux??

Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse are all names that I've heard, and I believe that Red Hat is the industry standard as far as new hardware compatibility testing is concerned. Mandrake is supposed to have a nice GUI, so I don't really know.

What's installation like?

And do I really have to download a CD image (or three). With my modem I'd be lucky to have Linux for Christmas!!! Not really a free OS if you spend three years on the phone downloading it!
    Anyone giving them away like sweeties? Anyone got a spare copy for evaluation?

That's more than one question isn't it!

Anyhow, thanx in advance

>>LonglynX<<

I have heard that Mandrake, is one of the most user friendly (if you never used linux)

I'm in the same bought as you, I got a copy of Red Hat Linux free from a friend.
    If I were you I would look around, ask friends etc.
    If not there are places you can buy the cd for not very much.
    It's better to burnout than fade away!

I'm a noob to linux and am using mandrake 8.2. When I first looked into using linux it was somewhat intimidating. Probably because I'm conditioned by windows point and clik and run or crash mentality.

But once I installed it and started looking around and actually reading the directions I found that it's a more understandable architecture if you loose some of that windows way of looking at things.

I use Mandrake 8.2, it will take some getting used to compared to Windows. Just another learning curve...................

I use Mandrake 8.1. It's really simple to install it, but you better customize installation, if you don't need Apache, MySql, Postgres . . .

Then, you have to decide the desktop environment: I prefer KDE, but Gnome works, as well.

Desktop environments, hmmm! there's something I know nothing about. Also the choice of GUI. Or is this the same thing?
    I believe that when you install your chosen Linux version you get a command line based OS, then you add a GUI module. Am I right? Is this what xfree86 is? Can anyone tell me more?
    As I said in my first post I'm a complete noob to Linux, but wanna learn and break out of those Microsloth chains!!
    Thanx for your replies
    >>LonglynX<<

Originally posted by Longlynx
    Desktop environments, hmmm! Also the choice of GUI. Or is this the same thing?
    Yep, KDE and Gnome are the two most popular GUI's (graphical dektop environments with windows and all that stuff). All major Linux distributions install at least one of these GUI's during installation. You will probably be able to select one of them, or both. Other GUI's are Sawfish, etc.
    I believe that when you install your chosen Linux version you get a command line based OS, then you add a GUI module.
    As I said, this is usually done directly during normal installation, at least if you are using a complete distribution and don't select the expert installation mode, where you can (de)select and configure nearly EVERYTHING (NO comparison to Windows). I really recommend the normal installation procedure for you.

Some distributions are offered on cover CD's. Anyway, the price of a retail distribution (with a LOT of apps included: Office Apps, Games, Utilities, and a big ETC.) is very low compared to Window$. I bought the latest SuSe distribution a few months ago. Installation is really easy and you get one month of installation support, so you have time to get everything working.
    Unusual hardware, unknown vidcards, strange internet connections are the most difficult things to get working. It always helps to have a standard system. I had big problems with my external ISDN card, for example.

I hope this helps...

intall process

Does anyone know any good web sites that take you threw the step by step process of the install? because i realy want to do this, its just im not shure what i will need and not need on the intall. I have done mst the research but everyone i talk to has said negative things to me about doing it (because i am kinda a newb)

any help would be thankful !

Mandrake 9.0 is excellent and it is avail for download get it at www.distrowatch.com

Redhat 8.0 is due at the end of the month keep posted at this webby

Another Vote for Mandrake

easy to setup, and with the most updated drivers of any Linux Distro

Originally posted by xenomorph69
    Mandrake 9.0 is excellent and it is avail for download ...
    Are you sure about that?? I thought the last release was still 8.something ...

Yes is true, here check it out

Mandrake Linux 9.0 ISO images mirrors for i586 and higher
    http://www1.mandrakelinux.com/en/TMPDOWNLOAD.php3#iso

Ya had to do it to me eh???

Looks like most of the servers are full and have traffic circling as we post.

Originally posted by bushmaster
    Ya had to do it to me eh???

Looks like most of the servers are full and have traffic circling as we post.
    huh!?!?!
    what are you talking about willis? (old tv show)

Yeah AG I know about the old tv show. I meant I just got 8.2 all installed and set up and the offical release of 9.0 comes along.